Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Just home from class and I have a burning question....IN ON AT    

Just home from class and I have a burning question....IN ON AT

Zora
Canada

Shh... mustn �t tell anybody... abut me relations up there in them thar hills... Tongue

19 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I won �t tell and I won �t tell you married your first cousin either and are living in a trailer park!  Oops   - did I say too much??

19 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Egads!! He �s only my second cousin... and it �s not a trailer park, it �s a facility for movable homes!  

19 Feb 2009     

douglas
United States

You two would enjoy my "What �s a Redneck?" power point, but unfortunately, I can �t post it because it is too large and I �m not sure about the real origin of some of the pictures.  After living a year in Oklahoma I have exchanged using the term "okie" for "redneck" or "hillbilly" though.

Back to the topic:  I think if you said "at the weekend" in the US people would laugh--we use "on the weekend". 

You have me concerned now, I have been teaching in, at, on a lot the last couple weeks and and "on the weekend" is all I have taught--there hasn �t been any complaints/mistakes by my advanced students so I am surprised to hear they use "at the weekend" in GB.  Most of my advanced students were taught Oxford English in school.

Douglas

I just realised that the worksheet I´ve been giving my students (thank you very much to the person who made it) was apparently contributed by someone out of the US.  It´s a very useful worksheet, I use it all the time and it´s not mine, so here´s the link:

20 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hey guys! Turn my back for a second and my thread turns into some sort of hoedown, you guys crack me up!!!!! LOL

Thanks Douglas for the link! I have downloaded it  and it is very simple and clear.. will use it next week I think!

20 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hiya Cheezels

Downunder, which is not that far from you, we typically say �on the weekend �.  When we teach the primary school kids journal writing we start with �on the weekend ... �

I don �t think I �ve ever heard a New Zealander say �in the weekend �.

Cheers

Jayho

20 Feb 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello all:

IN the weekend--doesn �t exist at all. 
AT the weekend--as far as I �m concerned, doesn �t exist, unless "weekend" is used as an adjective, such as "At the weekend meeting we discussed different kinds of doughnuts." 

ON the weekend/on weekends--usually describes typical weekend activities.
DURING the weekend:  flexible, can be used for typical weekend activities or future plans.
OVER the weekend: flexible, but is more often used for future plans or recent past actions.

Of course, I may just be full of it...it �s late and I�m getting a little punchy. 

Your American friend,
zoemorosini

21 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

"At the weekend" is British English - that �s why it sounds strange to you Zoe... and to most Brits - "on the weekend" sounds wrong! Smile

I see it this way, it depends on how you consider the "weekend" -

Do you see it as a brief (very desired and much coveted Smile) "moment"?  Then it would be "at the weekend".

Or do you see it as a specific "day"? Then it would be "on the weekend" ...

21 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Once again I think this demonstrates how language, despite what the grammar gurus such as Swan say, is continually evolving as well as different across cultures.

Downunder we would naturally use �on the weekend �, and this is what the kids are taught at school when they begin to write, but �at the weekend � is acceptable in some contexts. e.g. "when are you doing your homework?"  "on the weekend" or "at the weekend" are both acceptable.  "on the weekend" is by far more common and thus safer for ESL students to learn in an Australian context.

I guess, if you �re teaching EFL, it �s important to look at the model of language your country follows, American or British.  We generally follow Standard British English but it is now quite clear from this blog that we have gone American in this instance - must be because of all the American TV we have.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Feb 2009     

mendiv
United States

Zoe, I completely agree with you.  I love your explanation! 

As to the Brits, what about standing "on line" instead of "in line"? 

Or, in reference to using the internet, do you say you are "on-line"?

25 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2