Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > verbs are doing my head in!    

verbs are doing my head in!

ninahudd
France

verbs are doing my head in!

I was hoping to ask for some help.

I �ve been tecahing present perect and present perfect continuous which is no problem.

But then I strated thinking more and wondered where phrases such as - She has been trapped for several hours - comes into it. It �s not present perfect (I think) becaise it does not include been, and it �s not continuous. Any help appreciated!

20 Feb 2015      

Mariethe House
France

It is a passive sentence in the present perfect:

She has been ( present perfect of BE) + trapped ( past participle of trap)

20 Feb 2015     

amrodriguez
Spain

Of course it´s a present perfect, ts just as Maiethe House said a passive present perfect.

You have all the elements to form a present prefect : to have( have + past participle (been) + past participle (trapped)  for the passive

21 Feb 2015     

cheancheanchean
Cambodia

And in some cases, it isn �t necessarily the passive that "been" is used in Present Perfect.
   ==========================================================================
   =   be + preposition                                 e.g. Mr. Chean has been at the hospital since yesterday    =
   =   be + past participle                             e.g.This house has been repaired recently.                        =
   =   be + past participle used as adjective  e.g. I have been disappointed with him in ages.                 =
   ==========================================================================
For example
   1. He is ill now. (Simple Present Tense) 
   2. He was ill yesterday. (Simple Past Tense)
   3. He has been ill for a few days. (Simple Present Perfect)

21 Feb 2015