Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > lbs = "libs" ?    

lbs = "libs" ?

douglas
United States

lbs = "libs" ?

Hi All,

I realize that the correct abbreviation for pounds is lb (libre pondo); however, like it not, lbs is also very common and my question has to do with this second abbreviation.

Yesterday I overheard a colleague (who is also one of my students) speaking on the phone and he said "libs" when referring to pounds. Personally, I �ve never heard this used in this way; but I don �t want to correct him until I �ve researched it a little.

1) Are any of you familair with this pronunciation (libs) when referring to pound?

2) Is it common use anywhere in the world?

3) Would you understand what someone meant when they said "I lost 5 libs last month."?

Thanks,
Douglas

20 Feb 2015      

Apodo
Australia

I �ve never heard it used. 
I �ve heard L.B �s, (letters pronounced) but only from someone young who uses kilograms and didn �t know the abbreviation for the old weights.
We often hear K.Gs for kilograms. 

I think I would understand "libs� used in context.

20 Feb 2015     

rockthevinyl
United States

I �ve never heard it used, but would understand if a kid or a non-native speaker made that mistake.

20 Feb 2015     

kalythe
Canada

I wouldn �t say lbs or �libs � just pounds. It �s kinda like saying Kate (ampersand &) Danny and not just �Kate and Danny � they are symbols to hold the place of a word, but when articulated, the actual word takes its place.....

20 Feb 2015     

anahutten
Canada

I wonder if your colleague is from a Spanish speaking country. In Spanish, pounds is "libras" so this may be why he used "libs" as an abbreviation..

20 Feb 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I haven �t heard it.

20 Feb 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I have not heard it and would be confused if I heard it until I figured out the context. "Oh! he is talking about losing weight.Therefore he must mean pounds."

20 Feb 2015     

Zora
Canada

I also have never heard "libs" for pounds. 

21 Feb 2015     

FrauSue
France

In my opinion, "lb" or "lbs" is pronounced "pounds".
We also wouldn �t say "em" for "metres", for example. 

25 Feb 2015