Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > use of wish    

use of wish

Lizzie74
Italy

use of wish

I �m not sure about the tense of the following sentence: I was born in Liverpool but the town where I wish I had been born is London. Is it correct or should I say " I wish I was born"? Thanks for you help

24 Feb 2015      

Apodo
Australia

You have the tense correct.

I was born in Liverpool, but I wish I had been born in London.

London is a well known city rather than a town, and it is unnecessary to add where in the sentence.  Here are some more natural sounding variations:

I was born in the village of Stoneleigh, but I wish I had been born in the city of London. 

I was born in the city of Liverpool, but the city I wish I had been born in is London.

24 Feb 2015     

zailda
Brazil

After "wish", we use the past subjunctive to express a wish about the present (be = were for all persons. Was can be used in informal speech).

I wish Mom were here now.
I wish I had a car.

To express a wish about the past, the past perfect subjunctive is used after wish.

I wish I had gone to bed earlier yesterday.
I wish I had been born in the U.S.

Wish is also used as "please" followed by would.

I wish you wouldn �t make so much noise.  

24 Feb 2015     

Lizzie74
Italy

Thanks a lot.

25 Feb 2015