Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ´Teach it next time ´    

´Teach it next time ´

LoneWolf88
Albania

´Teach it next time ´

Question: If a student wrote ´teach it next time ´ as an answer to one of your exam questions, would you think this is rude/disrespectful? I ´m a female high school teacher in Japan and some male students have written sexually explicit things on my worksheets in the past, some of them like to push them limits with me. Anyway when I read this comment I immediately took it as a complaint about my teaching, or perceived lack thereof, as the student is clearly saying I never taught the material (which was about height) when in fact I had. So I wrote underneath it:  ´Height = tall or short. Please pay more attention in class next time ´, and now the Japanese coteacher is unhappy with me because he doesn ´t see how the student ´s comment was rude at all. If you came across a comment like this, would you think it was rude?

24 Feb 2015      

douglas
United States

It sounds VERY rude (and disrespectful) to me.

However; I think you may have lowered yourself to his level with your comment (though not too bad). I would have addressed the fact that you had taught the topic during test review and mentioned "despite what some may think...".

25 Feb 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Douglas is quite right. You may add something, about having taught politeness is English, like "Teacher, would you be so kind to teach this topic (again)?"  I suppose there are also cultural differences to consider? If that ´s the case, teach by example, and as Douglas noted, never lower your standards to their (lower) level. Cheers, Peter

Image result for teach by example 

25 Feb 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Yup, disrespectful comment of an impolite, badly brought-up kid.  He/She deserves to be caned :) 

25 Feb 2015     

sugarpasa
Turkey

I agree with all colleages.What he did was a complete disrespect to you.Again this is a cultural and adolestant issue.Some obviously suffers from morality. I would strongly suggest you to get in touch with their parents.This in most cases solve the issue.

25 Feb 2015     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree that the comment was disrespectful. Is there any way you can meet that student and resolve the situation? I would certainly have a talk with him and explain how the comment is inappropriate. 

25 Feb 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Did he make a mistake? Maybe he meant to write that he would learn it next time. Otherwise, it is really cheeky and I think your response was absolutely correct. There is no point going off the deep end with students - a curt, to-the-point comment is the right thing. I think that your co-teacher should be more supportive: I would be more angry with him than with the student. 

25 Feb 2015     

cy.rebecca
Brazil

He was really disrespectful and I would have requested the presence of his parents to show them what he had done, talking to the parent and the student at the same time for him not to have the opportunity of making up a different story! But, much more important than this episode is the fact that they write things with sexual connotation: this must be reported to the police and the student must face the punishment (s)he deserves! You cannot accept it in any way. Women all round the world are struggling for their rights and you must not accept being treated like this - never!

25 Feb 2015     

itsmekenn
Thailand

Hi Lone,

Are you an ESL teacher? Well because if you are an ESL teacher, you know these kids right! the level of these ESL students in Asia? I ´m an ESL teacher in Thailand and you know most of these kids are very poor in English. And they often mix up words. In your case there is a chance that the student meant ´learn ´ (will learn it next time) and not ´teach ´. However for sure you know your student to gauge whether he really meant that or did he really mix up the words. And of course we cant neglect these kids ´ ´I don ´t care ´ attitude towards foreign teachers. We just have to live with it, that ´s the rule by their ministry of education. "The foreign teacher must not be rude to the students under any circumstance." 
Guess the best thing is to have a one-on-one ...

Cheers.. 

25 Feb 2015