Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Vocabulary and activities for speaking skill (2 year of Primary Education)    

Vocabulary and activities for speaking skill (2 year of Primary Education)

anuska8
Spain

Vocabulary and activities for speaking skill (2 year of Primary Education)

Hi evertbody! 
I am the private teacher of a student who is 7 years old. He speaks Spanish as his mother tongue but their parents want I teach English only in speaking form. Then, I use flashcards to increase the student vocabulary as well as introduce short sentences, for instance: I like juice, I don �t like apples, etc. On the other hand, nowadays I haven �t got any ideas due to I �ve used almost all the vocabulary and grammar according to his age. Do you have any idea to put in practice? Could you recommend me more useful vocabulary or short sentences/conversations according to 7 years old?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Ana. 

5 Mar 2015      

Elina21
Greece

Hello Ana,

At this age you need to refer to colours and practise them with lots of numbered colouring pages, fruits and some vegetables, numbers up to ten at first and then up to 20, seasons and weather conditions and suitable clothes, farm animals and also body parts. You can find plenty os action songs on youtube on each topic area and you can have your student doing the actions while singing. You can also use authentic books like Brown Bear and The very hungry caterpillar (found in youtube),  I also use Winnie the witch, the edition which is for learners of English (OUP). DLTK is a very helpful site with Arts-and-crafts activities related to each topic but there are plenty more like MakingLearningFun, LearnEnglishKids and others. 
I hope this helps!
Cheers,
Elena

5 Mar 2015     

FrauSue
France

You could do some work on phonics and pronunciation as well.
Try using vocabulary to describe a picture - there is / there are, on the left/right, a man is digging ... that kind of thing. I love the Usborne "First 1000 words in English" book for this kind of exercise. 

5 Mar 2015     

melissab
Argentina

The key is to recycle, recycle and recycle again. Try playing pictionary, bingoes, color by number, complete the drawing. Listening exercises are good too. (For example: I have a big blue and green bag. In it are three red apples, two yellow bananas and a black pen.) Have student draw and color what he/she hears you say.  Repeat several times.

Incorporate set expressions to practice learned vocabulary:
I like
I have
My mother likes
My mother has,etc. 

I have worked with group of children ages 3 to 6 using only drawing, coloring and listening and speaking exercises. NO WRITING. It can be done. Remember young children love repetition. It makes them feel secure that they know what you are going to say/ do. Obviously don �t use it in excess.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you in any way.

6 Mar 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about drama games?
You can find lots of role-plays here. 

Also if you just search the activities for 7-year-olds here on the site you �ll have loads of ideas

But even using the topics you�ve covered you can extend the vocabulary in each section.

6 Mar 2015