Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

foreverlove8177
Morocco

help

helo everybody!
can you please tell me what �s the difference between fish and seafood.thanks a bunch.

5 Mar 2015      

douglas
United States

Fish is seafood, but seafood is not necessarily fish.  Seafood can be clams and other non-fish sea creatures as well.

5 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

Douglas, are you sure that fish is seafood? I think there are different things biologically. Anyway, examples or fish are shark, trout, salmon... They can come from fresh water or salt water. On the other hand, sea food came from salt water and some examples are: oysters, crabs, lobsters, etc. They usually are more expensive  than fish. 

5 Mar 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Well observed, Anuska, but fish is also regarded as seafood.  My local restaurant serves a lovely seafood basket, and it always has some fish, next to the other yummy food like calamari, crab, lobster (pieces), and so on. 

By the way, most fish nowadays is  �grown � on fish farms. The oceans, and lakes for fresh-water fish, are as good as depleted.  What �s left over in the oceans is caught to be used as .... fish food for those farms.  Food for thought!
Cheers, Peter

5 Mar 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Seafood is just that: food that comes from the sea, or freshwater lakes and rivers. Seafood includes both bone fish and shellfish. What you �re describing, anuska8, is shellfish. Shellfish is the word we use to describe the mollusks and crustaceans that we eat, with the exception of snails/escargot, which are land mollusks. You �re right; shellfish is usually more expensive than fish, although I believe the most expensive seafood of all is from fish: caviar!

5 Mar 2015     

douglas
United States

You have a good point Anuska here �s  a better definition of seafood (it specifies "sea" fish):

sea·food
ˈs�ˌfo͞od/
noun
noun: seafood; plural noun: seafoods
  1. shellfish and sea fish, served as food.
However, if you are looking for brook trout on a menu, it will probably be in the seafood section.

Cheers,
Douglas

5 Mar 2015     

Zora
Canada

I think that the difference might be a bit regional here... I �ve seen places that sell or put "seafood and fish" on their menus - and that usually means anything that are mollusks and crustaceans in the seafood section - whether they are from the sea or rivers and lakes, and any type of fish in fish section. 

I tend to use the above as a general guideline when explaining the difference.  

5 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Seafood means prawns, whelks, lobsters etc...anything with shells. 

6 Mar 2015     

spinney
United Kingdom

Ahem!
I �m from a very fishy area of the UK. Fish is considered seafood if it �s from the sea. Fresh water fish is not and I �ll challenge anybody that says otherwise to pistols, or fish, at dawn!  Clown

6 Mar 2015     

foreverlove8177
Morocco

thanks a lot for your informative replies.it �s really kind of you

6 Mar 2015