Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Subject and object questions    

Subject and object questions

Puunainen
Spain

Subject and object questions

Hi everyone!

I am posting this message because I have been facing some trouble explaining the formation of subject questions and object questions. The thing is, my adult students seem not to be able to understand how this works. They are not capable of knowing when to use "Who sees you" or "Who do you see", etc.

I �ve tried using worksheets, some roleplay, drawings... but although some of them are starting to understand the rest are just puzzled and getting frustrated. Do you have any tips?

Thanks a lot in advance! 

8 Mar 2015      

starryargenta
United Kingdom

This is a tricky grammar point. You might have already tried this but I usually do this:

1 Choose a couple of famous people and write a sentence like this. Then elicit from the students who is the subject and who is the object.

President Obama likes David Cameron.
sub                                        obj

2. Write the question:
Who does President Obama like?
Answer: David Cameron (the object)

3. Then write:
Who likes David Cameron?
Answer: President Obama (the subject)

8 Mar 2015     

Puunainen
Spain

Thanks starryargenta!

I already tried something similar, I will try now the same but with the famous people as you suggested :D 

8 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-reference/question-forms-subjectobject-questions might help.

Have the students notice the verb agreement.

Who sees must be some person other than you doing the seeing, so who is the subject. We cannot say you sees.
You see who can be transformed to Who do you see? You must be the subject because see agrees with you and not who.

8 Mar 2015     

douglas
United States

Doesn �t work 100%, but seems to help my adults understand:

"If the subject (or main player) of the sentence is not known, you don �t need a helping verb."

9 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

I might be totally wrong on this, because of my tiny knowledge of Spanish, but (if I have it right) you might use their own language to help them understand the difference. If I �m right, when you say "Who do you see" in Spanish, you use "tu", but "Who sees you" uses "te". It won �t be helpful in remembering, but will point out the difference between the two forms. Then you just have to drill to help them remember that with "tu" you use "do", but with "te" you don �t.

Or I might be totally wrong about it all, in which case, Never mind.

Bruce 

9 Mar 2015     

slavchik
Russian Federation

yes, it is very hard . my student thinks it hard also. 

9 Mar 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Using cards, moving them and repeating the procedure really helps.

Use famous people or your own students � names to make sentences about love...
The first step is easy. 

And the answer is...

The hard part: Tell your Ss that when you want to ask about the 2nd person, you have to begin with the two cards : �WHO DOES" and reverse the last two. If they repeat the procedure several times, they finally get used to it. Movement and visual aids help understanding.

You can also create a game by giving points to the one who forms a correct sentece.

Greetings from Greece,

9 Mar 2015     

Puunainen
Spain

Thanks a lot everybody!

My students seem to start getting the idea and I owe it to your tips and advice :)

Thanks again 

19 Mar 2015