Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Picking student names    

Picking student names

bibby
China

Picking student names

Hi,

In asian countries the students often have difficult to pronounce or remember names. Although i always try my best to remember all my students names. However it is common practise in china anyway, for all students to have an english name. I have some new students who cant speak a word of english and i want to have a naming lesson where we can talk about names and the meanings they may have. I was wondering if any one had a good worksheet with a list of names and perhaps the origins or meanings. If not i might have to whip up a little sheet for all the teachers in asia.

Thanks.

20 Feb 2009      

xiles31
China

Hi,

yes, I think it would be a good idea to create a worksheet on Western names, maybe not a list limited to typically British or American names; some of my students pick very common names like Tom or Lucy, others can be very creative: so far I �ve had a Rain and a Snow in the same classroom, a Michael Scoffield and even a Jungle. Recently there was a Charles, so I said it was an old king �s and a prince �s name. Many names go back as far as the Bible but most of the time the students know nothing about it. No doubt this job would take you a long time to do. Maybe we can work on it together.

Take care

20 Feb 2009     

bibby
China

My favourites so far are:

Brain - a guy who was really brainy

Calorie - a girl had so much energy she wanted a name to match her personality.

Dictionary - a guy who knew so many english words but didnt have a clue how to string them together.

7 - not sure why but i liked the name all the same.

20 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Having lived in China for a number of years we had more than our share of strange names.  One man wanted to call himself Girly because his Chinese name was Ge Li, I have had Swan, Rain, Storm and one boy who was convinced this was a legitimate English name Wong Po Dunk.

I try to give them proper names which would not be �scoffed � at by foreigners - particularly if they wish to do business, then this would add more credibility to their introduction.  I demonstrate this by introducing myself to them as Hello, my name is Qi Guan Yan, which sounds like a good Chinese name, but actually means �A henpecked husband � and then ask - would you do business with someone of that name.

I also try to get them names that are similar in sound to their Chinese names, so a boy called Ba Li, could be Barry, a Girl called Xu could be Sue, etc.

There are countless sites that have names and their origins which I am sure you can find.

20 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Bibby
As a teacher, it is important that you give your students names and not labels.
People label each other enough and they are hard to get rid of later in life.
(for example being called fatty, or brainy)

Do like Logos says and give them names that sound a bit like their own.
L

20 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yes I agree with Libertybelle and Logos.

Most of my Asian students already had westernised names given by their parents but those who didn �t chose names very much like their own - similar in spelling and pronunciation.  It �s important for our students to remember and retain their identity cultural identity and to use the English name as a nickname when dealing with western countries.  As the teacher we need to ensure that they are aware of connotations of an inappropriate name.

Cheers

Jayho

20 Feb 2009