Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Lion dance or The lion dance???    

Lion dance or The lion dance???

rsethi75
Hong Kong

Lion dance or The lion dance???

Hi All,

I need to know what would be the passive voice for the following sentence:
"People perform lion dance at Chinese New Year. � �

The issue here is whether to add �The � to the lion dance or not. My co-teachers said that �The lion dance is performed at CNY � is teh correct answer but then in that case the active should have been : � "People perform the  lion dance at Chinese New Year. � �

Any comments or suggestions?? 

12 Mar 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

The �the � is required.  In addition, I would say �on � instead of �at �.

12 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Hi redcamarocruiser and rsethi75, I hope you�re both having a good day, or night, as the case may be!

Just a quick note re �at� vs �on �. In British English it�s normal to use �at� rather than �on� when talking about a period of holidays. For example, �at Christmas� would be the entire Christmas holiday period, whereas �on Christmas Day� is specifically the 25th of December. The Chinese New Year�actually encompasses�the first 15 days of the Chinese calendar, so it isn�t just one evening (like�the western New Year�s Eve). Many British English speakers would use �at� rather than the American �on� for the period.�

Cheers,
AB�

12 Mar 2015     

Ruthy87
Costa Rica

"People perform lion dance at Chinese New Year.
At Chinese New  Year the lion dance is performed by people .

12 Mar 2015     

douglas
United States

I would use "the" in both cases (you are speaking of a specific dance).

13 Mar 2015     

PhilipR
Thailand

People perform a lion dance... I would use the indefinite article, since there several types of lion dances I think.

13 Mar 2015