Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > tenses    

tenses

zeina monzer
Lebanon

tenses

good morning dear friends
am teaching tenses for my students (grades 7 and 8)
the problem is that they get confused when they have mixed exercise with three or more tenses
i need your help or suggestions on how to make it easier for them to differentiate between tenses

thanks in advance

13 Mar 2015      

MartaDavid
Romania

Hi zeina!

Have you told them the specific words that go which each tense? I mean always, ever, sometimes, yesterday etc.
I believe that if they learn what adverbs go with which tense, and then you make your exercises using these words in every sentence, they will be able to tell which tense to use. And of course, once they are familiarized with mixed tenses you can ommit the adverbs.

Hope this helped :) 

13 Mar 2015     

anuska8
Spain

Hi! I think they are so young to mix tenses  if they are learning a 2nd language. Anyway, they need more practise in order to get used to them. One of my favourite exercises to do is, at first, separate the different forms and do the next activity:

Affirmative, Present simple: Sarah plays football.

Affirmative. Past simple: Sarah played football.

Affirmative. Future simple: Sarah will play football.

... and so on.

Next, they should try to do the same in negative and interrogative forms.

On the other hand, a more motivating way than this is to use wordcards with each part of a sentence (the subject, the verb, etc). So, students will order them to create correct sentences.

One card: She. Another card: plays. Another card: football. (the same with more tenses). We mix them and they form sentences in the correct order.

Hope this helped!

Ana.  

13 Mar 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Using cards is really helpful!

Greetings from Greece,

13 Mar 2015     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

thank you all for your responses
i didn �t face this problem with the simple and continuous tenses but with the perfect snd perfect continuous tenses
i �ll try your suggestions and i hope they �ll work
again, thank very much

13 Mar 2015