Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > File size limits    

File size limits

locuazlola
Spain

File size limits

Hi,

Am I the only one who has issues with the file size limits on this website? I often use it to download worksheets/powerpoints, and want to upload pieces in return, as I feel it �s only fair. However, NOTHING I have fits within size limits, not even basic Word files with no pictures or anything. I have no idea how to make these files smaller. As for powerpoint, I would have to butcher them to cut out enough content to reduce file size, by which point they �d be fairly useless.
It frustrates me as I �d like to share my work, but I can �t unless I �m willing to spend hours reducing file sizes. Sadly, I �m unwilling to spend longer reducing file sizes than it took me to produce files in the first place!

Does anyone know of any nifty tricks to reduce file sizes? Or are admin (pretty please) willing to increase the sizes to more reasonable limits? Also, is my issue anything to do with working on a Mac, using Pages/Keynote, so all my .ppt or.doc files are conversions? I have quite a few worksheets and presentations sat on my hard drive waiting to be shared.
Many thanks for any help!

x

15 Mar 2015      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Locuazlola!

You could download some tutorials. They are quite helpful. Here: Tutorials.

Ascincoquinas. 

15 Mar 2015     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi,

over the years I �ve been a member here, the size has been increased several times. I think there is no need to increase it any more, sometimes the problem is because of the size of pics in the ws. As my dear colleague Ascincoquinas suggested, have a look into tutorials. 
They are really helpful. ;-)

15 Mar 2015     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Hi Locuazlola,

I’m trying to understand the reason why even your "basic Word files with no pictures or anything" are so large in size. There must be something wrong with your PC or the way you safe the files. When you look at the thousands of wonderful worksheets here (mostly full of pictures, tables, frames, etc.) which fit the size limit you must find the problem in your PC or the way you create/save your wks. Look at the "tutorials" which Ascincoquinas suggested.
Oto

16 Mar 2015     

locuazlola
Spain

Thanks for suggesting the tutorial, I �ll take a look. 

Ohermann,   I �m as baffled as you as to why my very basic worksheet exceeded the file size limit when I �ve seen many more complex ones uploaded on here. I suspect it might be because I �m not working in Word directly, and have to convert the file. 

16 Mar 2015