Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > clover? shamrock?    

clover? shamrock?

Mariethe House
France

clover? shamrock?

Are they the same? What is different?

I know it is a bit late for st parick but it isstill  st patrick´s week , isn´t it?Wink

Cloverly yours

Mariethe

Edit: I did find an explanation given by some Irish guy and it´s quite funny to read. So here it is for you to enjoySmile

http://www.instructables.com/id/St-Patricks-Shamrock-aint-a-clover/

Edit:  Dear Jayho: oodles ? noodles, you mean? LOL Never heard that word before so I had to look it up!Big smile
 Thank you, you native lads and gals for teaching us those funny expressions of yours! I love reading you.

Thank you Alienboy and Maryse Hug

EDIT  @ Jayho: thank you  for the link to the definition. In the first place, I thought it was a new recipe : �clover noodles� LOL

19 Mar 2015      

alien boy
Japan

A shamrock is a three leaf clover :)

19 Mar 2015     

maryse pey�
France

Luckily yours  dear Marie-Thé !

19 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mariethe

As AB said, shamrock is simply clover. Clover has 3 leaves but if you happen upon a 4 leaf clover, it is not shamrock but it will bring you good luck!

Clover is a weed here. And in all my years of weeding out oodles of clover from my garden I have never seen a four leafed clover. So no luck for me!

Clovers!

Jayho

Edit 1: Mariethe, oodles means lots of

Edit 2: Well, clover is actually nutritious  (high in protein) (and here are some clover valley noodles!)

19 Mar 2015     

sedefcem
Turkey

However their meanings are the same,Shamrock is named for Ireland �s national sign

20 Mar 2015