Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help! I just need your precious help    

Help! I just need your precious help

mfraczek
France

Help! I just need your precious help

Hello to you all,
I �m in the middle of lessons about jobs. On the internet I found an interesting cover letter, but I have some problems with and I can �t teach what I don �t really know!!!!
Could you help me better understand this paragraph, please? 

Through my degree course, I have been able to develop my interest in biochemistry, whilst improving my laboratory skills along with my numeracy skills. I have gained some experience in HPLC and have good computing skills, having used several scientific databases. I achieved 68% in my first year examinations and am hoping to achieve a high 2:1 for my course work this year. 

My questions are:
     1-  What �s HPCL? (I suppose it has to do with science and I need to know what the letters stand for)
      2- What does a high 2:1 mean? 

Thank you very much for your answers.
Murielle 

19 Mar 2015      

sakhou
France

HPLC :  High-performance liquid chromatography
Have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-performance_liquid_chromatography

a high 2:1 British undergraduate degree classification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

19 Mar 2015     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Murielle

HPLC is technical jargon and means High Performance Liquid Chromatography

I have no idea what 2:1 is but it probably relates to assessment marks.

When teaching CVs, just mention to students that this is where the candidate can include technical skills pertaining to that occupation. The paragraph has a good structure and can be used for many occupations. Maybe you could ask the students to insert appropriate words pertaining to themselves and then compare paragraphs. Some will have technical skills and others will have generic and/or personal skills.

Through my _______________, I have developed _______________________ . I have gained experience in ______________________ and have ____________ skills. I achieved ______________ and am looking to  _______________.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Mar 2015     

mfraczek
France

Thanks for your help and your advice. It is really helpful.
Have a nice day.
Murielle 

19 Mar 2015