Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which is right    

which is right

zhoukovets
Russian Federation

which is right

Dear  colleagues!
Help me, please!
Which is right: "the theme of our lesson is ..." or "the topic of our lesson is ..." ,
                          "the aim of our lesson ..." or "the goal (object) of our lesson"? 

27 Mar 2015      

harj
Albania

the topic of our lesson is or the aim of our lesson

27 Mar 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

Theme and topic are closely related but slightly different. Theme refers to the central or underlying meaning, and topic is the subject. I would use topic for a single lesson, but I might talk about the theme of related lessons.

In this context, I would say that aim, goal, object, and objective are interchangeable. Personally, I tend to use goal or objective more, but that may be a difference between American English and British English.

27 Mar 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

the topic of the lesson, but I personally use it in my plan and to my students I usually say something like, "Today we �re talking about/ discussing... or We continue talking about... or Today we �ll look at how..."
As to the aims, have a look at this.

28 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with MoodyMoody that strictly speaking, the theme is more notional and the topic is concrete.So a theme might be �loneliness � and a topic would be �clothing. � Not that anybody worries about it! I haven �t checked Sophia �s link yet, but the aim is more long term than the objective. So, you have the aim and then some objectives to reach it. In our school, we have no choice. At the beginning of every single lesson, we have to write: Learn: (the lesson objective(s). Do: (the activities). Check: (how we are going to check that students have understood.). So, staff and students refer to �the learn � which bugs me as �learn � is a verb, not a noun. 

28 Mar 2015     

CyrillicAlphabet
Bulgaria

What we talk or write about is the topic/subject. A topic is usually a word or a phrase. A theme is a main idea. A theme is always a message, i.e. a sentence.

For example, the teachers says,  "Today we are going to talk about university education. Write down the topic, please - University Education." 

I hope you find this useful. 

Best wishes,
CyrillicAlphabet

28 Mar 2015