Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with an expression    

help with an expression

evellyn
Brazil

help with an expression

Hi dear colleagues

I �d like to know if it �s possible to say take out a doubt or if there �s another expression for that meaning.

thanks and regards 

7 Apr 2015      

PhilipR
Thailand

�Remove any doubt � is the expression you �re looking for. E.g. Matching fingerprints removed any doubt about who had committed the robbery.

7 Apr 2015     

evellyn
Brazil

Thanks a lot

7 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I would say tirar uma d�vida is to ask a question, to have a question explained,  or to clear up any confusion regarding a question. 

7 Apr 2015     

binhobear
Brazil

Hummm interesting, taking advantage of that, I �d like to ask if is it possible to say: Do you have any doubts? Or any questions?  I always say that to my students.  Thanks in advance.

7 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

@binhobear

I have noticed that many of the teachers here don �t seem to understand the meaning of "doubt". To doubt means not to be certain that something is true, or to feel fairly certain that something isn �t true, as in "I doubt that Santa Claus is real" or."I doubt that student �s ability to pass the test." It doesn �t mean confusion or lack of understanding.

With that in mind, you don �t want to ask students if they have any doubts. It is correct, and good, to ask if they have any questions.

Bruce 

7 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

@binhobear

I apologize for being rude, because I thought I was being helpful in explaining what "doubt" does and doesn �t mean.

Bruce 

7 Apr 2015     

manonski (f)
Canada

@binhobear, I �d like to know how yanogator has been rude because I �ve read his reply more than once and all I see is someone clarifying a question. 

7 Apr 2015     

Jayho
Australia

@binhobear

As a very new member, you haven�t been able to experience how helpful (and knowledgeable) yanogator is. He can help you with all your grammar questions and he always does so in a polite and courteous manner.

He has rightfully commented on how many teachers ask questions in the forum regarding "doubt". There are lots of posts, going back years, about this topic. It certainly is an area  of confusion for many teachers.

I hope this clarifies any doubts you might have about yanogator�s response. Please feel free to ask more questions if you are unsure about something. We are all here to help each other.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Apr 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Bruce �s reply is not rude at all, in my opinion. It is binhobear who owes the apology.

7 Apr 2015     

Nina Duarte
Brazil

Thanks for the explanation redcamaroncruiser, you perfectly clarified how "tirar a duvida" should be translated.

Thank you too yanogator, for the class you just taught about the meaniing of "doubt".

You guys and some others like Peter hardy, Jayho and cunliffe run this webiste always ready to help others.

7 Apr 2015