Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´Twist ´ and ´sprain ´     

´Twist ´ and ´sprain ´

gabitza
Romania

´Twist ´ and ´sprain ´

Hi guys,
It ´s my turn to ask for your help! Confused
Is there a difference between ´twist ´ and ´sprain ´ your ankle, wrist, or other joints? If so, what ´s the difference? Is one worse than the other? Is it connected to the body part you injure? I ´m at a HUGE loss here. I ´m supposed to teach my 6th graders on Monday about ´breaking, twisting and spraining ´ bones and joints, and I have no idea what the two guilty words stand for.
Thanks in advance!
Gabriela 

20 Feb 2009      

paddyofarrell
Ireland

Not positive about this one, but I mostly use ´twist ´ just for ankle, and it ´s not as serious as a sprain, and is propably an informal way to describe the injury. Sprian describes the painful stretching of a muscle or ligament and can be used for all joints. I think.

20 Feb 2009     

gabitza
Romania

I do thank you Smile, paddyofarrel for replying so fast. I think I got the idea: ´sprain ´ seems to be a worse injury (the kind that comes with the big swelling and ice and staying in bed! Right?!). Stern Smile

20 Feb 2009     

penbwl
Japan

I agree with Paddy that "Twist" tends to collocate with "Ankle".

But a twisted ankle is essentially (or medically) the same as a sprained ankle.

The important point is to make the distinction between ´Strain ´ and ´Sprain ´.

This is really testing my recall of P.E. class when I was 15, but, as I remember:

´Sprain ´ - Means injuring the tissue that connects muscle to bone

´Strain ´ - Means injuring the muscle itself.

That is why a twisted/sprained ankle means the same. You have damaged the connective tissue of the ankle.

Hope this helps, even though it ´s a bit anal... Tongue

20 Feb 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Thank you so much penbwl! The explanation you ´ve given is really useful.  
Tongue

20 Feb 2009