Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The date in a letter!?    

The date in a letter!?

Lilia Laz
Tunisia

The date in a letter!?

Hi everybody,

In a letter,  can we write the date this way

09/04/2015

Or we must write it this way

9th April, 2015   Or   April 9th, 2015?

Does it depend on the formality of the letter? 

Thank you in advance for your clarification ;) 

9 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

I think it �s a matter of personal preference. In a VERY formal letter, I wouldn �t use 09/04

Bruce 

9 Apr 2015     

viccxx
Greece

And let �s not ofrget about the ambiguity the different style that Americans and Brits use with the dates...For Europeans, the date you wrote is April 9th, but for most Americans (correct me if I �m wrong) the month goes first, so 9/4 would actually be Septemember 4th.
So I always tell my students to use the format 9th April, or April 9th, to avoid that.
As far as I know for informa letters, the following formats are acceptable:
9/4/ 2015
9 Apr 2015
or 9th April or April 9th
you can even omit the year I think
For semi-formal letters, you never omit the year,
and for formal ones, I dinstictly remember this being the most acceptable:
Thursday, 9th April 2015.

9 Apr 2015     

Jayho
Australia

The Australian way is 9 April 2015 (no comma) as followed by Australian government departments.

With most correspondence being conducted digitally now, the date patterns are less rigid. It doesn �t really matter and it can really follow any format as long as the date is clear.

9 Apr 2015     

douglas
United States

viccxx makes a very important point though (especially in international business)--using just numbers can lead to expensive misunderstanding. 

An ex-student of mine once came to me with a problem. he had replied to a supplier �s deliver notification asking why there would be such an unacceptably long delay in delivery.  The supplier replied with confusion "I don �t understand why a 4-day delivery time is unacceptable."  In the end, my student had read the date in the European way (e.g. 07/05 = May 7th) and the supplier had meant the American way (e.g. 07/05= July 5th).

For this reason I always recommend using letters in some way to indicate the month.

Cheers,
Douglas

10 Apr 2015     

Lilia Laz
Tunisia

Thank you all for your replies ; )

10 Apr 2015