Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > order of adjectives    

order of adjectives

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

order of adjectives

Hi friends and colleagues!
I �m a bit confused about the order of adjectives.
As far as I know, when we have many adjectives to describe a noun, we order them as follows:
determiner-opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-what kind-what for(purpose).
But when I looked at other sources, I found another order: opinion-size -shape-condition-age colour-pattern-origin-material..
 Which one is correct?
would you please help me with examples? 
Thanks a lot. 

12 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Nizar,

First, it �s important to know that these lists aren �t a "rule" of English. Native speakers aren �t taught adjective order as we grow up; we just mimic what we hear. With that in mind, people make the lists based on what they hear people saying, so we can �t speak authoritatively on the subject.

Now, fortunately, your question is easier to answer than it seems at first, because the only difference between the two lists is the relative order of "age" and "shape". Since the lists contain different items, those items can �t  be compared. So, what I will tell you is that we generally put age before shape.

She has an old round rug in the living room.

In thinking about your lists, it came to mind that "origin" is sometimes more of a name, such as a Persian rug. In that case, that modifier comes just before the noun. 

She was wearing a  Chinese silk blouse.
  She was eating a chocolate French pastry.

I �m sure others will have more to add. 
Bruce 

12 Apr 2015     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what Bruce said is obviouly correct and i would add that if you had 1 rule to learn is this one

more subjective to less subjective
less objective to more objective
basically "old" "beautiful"  are more subjective/less objective than "round" "blue"
can someone argue that the rug isn �t old? yes (it �s old but not that old compared to an eighteenth-century rug for example)
can someone argue the rug isn �t round? don �t think so...

13 Apr 2015     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Bruce and ELOJOLIE274 Thank you so much.

13 Apr 2015