Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Corrections    

Corrections

t.javanshir
Australia

Corrections

Dear friends,

I am editing a number of journal articles these days and I �ve come across a lot of dangling structures. I was wondering what options are available when it comes to correcting them. I just wanted to post a sentence here to hear different viewpoints about it and get some ideas.

I would be grateful if you suggest corrections for the following sentence. The second part after the comma seems to be a dangling structure. Am I right?

And any solutions? 

"Comparing the compounds � position, orientations and interactions observed through docking with those of the crystallographic structure present in PDB ID 1T69, a very good agreement was noticed."

16 Apr 2015      

Apodo
Australia

I would use:

When comparing ..... 

17 Apr 2015     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thanks Apodo

17 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with "When".

As for your question, no, there isn �t any dangling going on here. It is a rather complicated sentence, so it has to be read carefully.  Boiled down, it says, " When comparing some stuff (that is) observed through some stuff, agreement is observed.

I do see a bit of a problem with the use of the passive here, though, although I �m not sure that it �s wrong. The "comparing" at the beginning sort of implies a person to do the comparing, but the passive structure eliminates the person, so I see a lack of agreement between the two parts of the sentence.

Bruce 

17 Apr 2015     

t.javanshir
Australia

That �s what makes it a dangling structure Bruce. As you have rightly mentioned, "comparing" is done by a person, which makes the first part of the sentence active, while the second part is passive. An example of a commonly used dangling structure!

19 Apr 2015