Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Comparison of adjectives    

Comparison of adjectives

vanyiimo
Romania

Comparison of adjectives

Hello!
Could you tell me how you teach the comparison of adjectivies to young learners (9-10 year-old children)? I would like to get some useful ideas from you to to teach efficiently.
Thank you in advance.
Ildiko

17 Apr 2015      

cltaylor
Canada

Hi Ildiko:

I usually bring some things to class that the kids can compare (different size pencils, boxes, etc.) I show them a short pencil for example and ask them if it is short or long. They say that it is short. Then I show them a shorter pencil and ask them if it is shorter than the first pencil. I do this with a number of things. 
I also do a class survey and they have to compare two students and tell me which one is older, taller, younger, funnier, etc. I make a list of the students names and they have to go around the room asking questions and then answering using the comparative.

Example:   Suzy/Alice old/young
                  1. How old is Suzy?    15 years  old
                  2. How old is Alice?     13 years old
            Suzy is older than Alice.
           Alice is younger than Suzy. 

For irregular forms, I usually bring in food - cookies, fruit, candy and we use good, better, best when tasting.
Good luck! 

17 Apr 2015     

vanyiimo
Romania

Thank you very much.  These are very useful ideas. I will do the class survey as well with my young learners.
 Thank you again.

17 Apr 2015     

papadeli
Greece

Here �s how I present it.

Greetings from Greece,

17 Apr 2015     

olka0207
Poland

Apart from the ideas mentioned by Cltaylor (great, I really like those), I guess visual materials are the best.

You can, for instance, print some cartoon or film characters every child knows.

The characters should look totally different: for instance Shrek versus The Little Mermaid etc.

Then all you have to do is to highlight the differences between them.

It really works as kids know the characters and like them :)

18 Apr 2015