Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question about order of adjectives    

Question about order of adjectives

MarionG
Netherlands

Question about order of adjectives

Dear all,
Maybe someone can help me out here...
"funny" and "cute" both are opinions (IMHO ☺) so how do I know whether to write:
five cute funny boys   OR    five funny cute boys
Can anyone help me out?

(it is from an excellent multiple choice worksheet I downloaded here, but I don �t remember who made it)

Thanks, 
Marion 

20 Apr 2015      

yanogator
United States

They both sound very natural, so it doesn �t matter.

Bruce 

20 Apr 2015     

gabriel_aubert
Argentina

As Yanogator says, they both sound natural. But if you want to avoid the problem just use "AND" to join the adjectives. "Five cute and funny boys"

20 Apr 2015     

dmharg
Greece

When you have more than one adj,  you start with the most general. In this case I agree with Bruce and Gabriel :)

21 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Here �s the strange thing, Gabriel. With "and", the order becomes important. I think it has to do with number of syllables, but we are much more likely to say "cute and funny" than "funny and cute". No, I just realized that it isn �t actually the number of syllables, but the stresses on the syllables that makes the difference. There �s a need to have unstressed syllables separating the stressed syllables, which is why "funny and cute boys" doesn �t work, with "cute" and "boys" adjacent, but "cute and funny boys" distributes the stressed syllables around the unstressed.

Bruce

21 Apr 2015     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you all, I understand from all your responses that there really isn �t a clear rule for it ☺
That is also what I told my students today: There is a set order of adjectives (opinion,size,age,shape,color,origin,material,purpose) but when you have two adjectives from the same type (like cute and funny- both opinions), it doesn �t really matter in which order you use them.............They seemed OK with that explanation☺

21 Apr 2015