Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The article    

The article

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The article

Hi all. My colleagues always complain that our students (mainly from Pakistan, Poland and Slovakia) do not use the article. I would like to send a slide out to them (my colleagues), with a paragraph on it, with the articles missing. I will ask them to provide an article if necessary. They will be able to do this quickly, without any effort, of course. I would then have the rule fly in, or show that on another slide, just to show them how difficult it is.
But I was wondering if anyone knows of any such resource?  

25 Apr 2015      

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi Lynne!
 I only know of a couple of prinatbles here:
And another here:
They give a brief summary of the that rule works in most, but not all, cases. To tell you the truth I �v been meaning to do one of my own for yonks now.
Dale 

25 Apr 2015     

lesleymisano2
Italy

Hi Lynne, 
Saw your request and have uploaded one of the charts I did years ago.  I �ve just uploaded it on islcollective as I usually do with my stuff.  I don �t know if it �s what you were looking for exactly, but hope it �s useful in some way.  I think I �ve taken all the Italian �bits � out.  If things aren �t too clear, mail me on how I can improve it.  
 All the Best
Lesley 

25 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi guys, thank you!
Lesley, I sent you a pm on iSLC and I �ve got the ws, thanks. It �s great and I �ll use that with my students. What I was after was a paragraph which included as many different reasons for using the article as possible, so that I could get the teachers thinking: what is the rule for that... so they would realise how difficult it is. I �m not expressing this very well! Anyway, I �ve written a ridiculous paragraph! Jen bought _ new dress for _  party, then she went to _  party in _ new dress. She met _ man in _ far corner who told her was _ teacher in _ morning and a gardener on _ sunny days. He offered her _ pickled onion and _ glass of _ beetroot juice then asked her if she preferred _ cats or _ dogs etc.... This is the quality of my training for staff, ha ha! 

25 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

Your paragraph might be ridiculous, Lynne, but it is an excellent exercise in using articles (or not).

Bruce 

25 Apr 2015     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Hi Lynne,

It would be great if you incorporated the whole version of the ridiculous paragraph into a new wks of yours. There are also other languages having problem with the "articles thing". My own language also doesn�t know, I mean doesn�t have or contain, this tricky grammar thing. So if you prepare such a wks, pleeeease, do not forget to include the "answer key" for Polish, Pakistani, Slovak nad Czech teachers ;-)
Oto

26 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. Last night, I received an email from the wonderful Lesley Misano, who had annotated my ridiculous paragraph, pointing out the rules and considerations. It �s turned into a great exercise and I think �my � teachers will enjoy it. I will expand it and upload it here, if Lesley doesn �t mind.... 
Lynne 

26 Apr 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

Good idea! But ...  
When you say "They will be able to do this quickly, without any effort, of course. " I just don �t find it so self understood. Just a thought. 

26 Apr 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Lynne,
I see that you �re all set so maybe you �ll find something useful here for your other projects:) 

26 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Sophia, it �s so nice to see you back here and that is a fab link, thanks. 
Lynne 

26 Apr 2015