Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > study vs. research    

study vs. research

Pedro14
Spain

study vs. research

Here I �m with another question but first thanks to zora and yonagator - who took the trouble to rewrite all the explanation again.

Even after looking up both words in the dictionary, I cannot understand why "study" is the proper word to use in the gap according to the key. My students asked me if research would be right and I couldn �t give them an explanation.

A large-scale _______ has been done by advertisers on the spending habits of today �s teenagers.

Another problem I find is to distinguish the words "ensure"; "assure". Can I teach my students that "ensure" is similar to "check" and "assure" to "guarantee"? 

What �s the meaning of the Word "craic"? It doesn �t appear in my dictionary. Is it slang? Today I �ll see what the craic is in Seville. Is craic a synonym of "ambiance" or "atmosphere"?

Thanks in advance. 

29 Apr 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Because of the article �a � beginning the sentence, you cannot say "a research" since �research � is uncountable. You could say "research study" (what type of study is it?), distinguishing it from "case study" and "double-blind study".

Ensure means to make certain, guarantee something. It does not mean to check something. 
Check something = verify its status or situation.

Assure can also mean "make (something) certain to happen" or guarantee something, but it can also mean to reassure someone of something to allay their doubts.

I �ve never heard of craic, but Wikipedia says the following:
"Craic" (/kr�k/ KRAK), or "crack", is a term for news, gossip, fun, entertainment, and enjoyable"

29 Apr 2015     

yanogator
United States

I �ll add a little to red �s excellent answers:

For the most part, "ensure" is intransitive and "assure" is transitive, not exclusively, but mostly (on second thought, it might be exclusively).

Before you turn in your exam, you should ensure that you have answered all of the questions.

I want to assure you that red �s answers to your questions are excellent.

Bruce

29 Apr 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Craic� is an "Oirishism" which was borrowed from the Scots/Ulster Scots �crack�, referring to a good old chat or gossip � usually among friends. (in certain parts of Scotland, if you�re �cracky�, you�re "talkative, affable, loquacious") 

It can, by extension, refer to the atmosphere ("whit�s the crack like?").

29 Apr 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, excellent answer from Red. I didn �t reply because I didn �t know �craic �. Shame on me! I love a good crack, which is Northern English, as well as Scottish. Thanks almaz.

30 Apr 2015