Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a complicated one...    

a complicated one...

yanogator
United States

Thanks, red. I guess, as I said before, this works only in the US.

Bruce

1 May 2015     

mazeries
France

Hi,

I am not a native speaker but I do believe  all suggestions are wrong ! it is not a question of being in the US or not , it �s a question of being grammatically correct  .... no less !

I would say 1 ) she had won several awards   2) she had been able to draw ...

Have a great day ! 

1 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

You seem to have missed the point, mazeries.

There are differences in grammar between England and the US, and this seems to be one of them.
  You would say "She had been able to draw...", as would the others who learned British English. Here in the US, we would also say that, or we could (although it wouldn �t sound quite natural) say "She could draw...", and be grammatically correct, no less.

Bruce 

1 May 2015     

mazeries
France

hi Bruce ,

I can �t make head nor tail of it  !!!! ;D ;D

I guess it �s the same with French .... French from France , French from Canada  ....
hope you didn �t mind my comment , though !
But it �s true that in France we learn British English and not American English !

Cheers
Mazeries  

1 May 2015     

source
Turkey

I �m grateful to all of u for expressing your comments, it �s a pity to come across such an unnecessary question in an exam that is really important for children anyway your ideas are as almost the same as mine, thank you.

1 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Thanks, Bruce, for reminding me of the fact Americans tend to use the past simple over the present perfect. I didn �t think they would do the same with the past perfect, though. But hey, that makes English a true living language, as compared with let �s say Latin.

It �s a bummer when students fail a test because of such silly questions, but on the other hand it teaches them, and us, that language is what people say or write, and not what the grammar tells us! 

Cheers, Peter 

Image result for silly english 

1 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Peter, we in the US like to use the past simple whenever we can. The perfect tenses seem more formal to us, so sometimes they seem too formal.

@mazeries,
No, I didn �t mind your comment.

Bruce 

1 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Bruce - brace yourself, old boy! You are going to mind my comment;-) ! This just goes to show the superiority of British English.

2 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

# Lynne, Simplicity is more of a virtue than superiority!

Image result for simplicity 

2 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, Lynne, it is your language.

Bruce

2 May 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >