Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what is the correct answer?    

what is the correct answer?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

what is the correct answer?

Hi,

Can you tell me what the correct answer is?

He told me last week that he ( bought   -  had bought  ) a new phone. 

In the teacher �s book, the correct answer is had bought.

Why?

Best regards,
:) 

2 May 2015      

niksailor
Russian Federation

Good Day!

According to the rules of the reported speech, you �ve got to use Past Perfect for a completed action that was prior to the action of the verb in the main clause ("told" to be exact).

Present Perfect goes to Past Perfect in the reported speech. Compare the two sentences:

He said to me, "I have bought a new phone" (Present Perfect is used to emphasize the result of the action at present)

He told me that he had bought a new phone (Past Perfect is used because it is reported speech where tenses are subjected to the rules of the sequence of tenses)

Hope this explanation will help you!

Hugs,
Nick 

2 May 2015     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot.

2 May 2015     

fefa101
Tunisia

Hello! The two actions "to tell" and "to buy" both happened in the past  but one happened before the other "to buy" happened before "to tell"  and as the rule suggests  that we use the Past perfect when an action happened before another action in the past so had bought is corrcect . Here is another example: The secretary informed her Boss that she had finshed the report. The action of finishing the report happened before informing. hope it is helpful

2 May 2015