Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Spell check in Word 2007: Any computer nuts here to help????    

Spell check in Word 2007: Any computer nuts here to help????

cheezels
New Zealand

Spell check in Word 2007: Any computer nuts here to help????

I am wondering HOW I can change my settings so that I can spell check in ENGLISH UK only. I have noticed for example if I download a worksheet and it was written on someone else �s computer using ENGLISH US (or recently FRENCH) then MY spell checker uses that dictionary too.... Which of course I don �t want as I am teaching everything in British English....Even if I click on English UK it keeps jumping back to the worksheets original dictionary when it was created. Also I am very bad at reading from the screen so I like to spell check everything using the spell checker in case I miss it on the first read through... Is there something I am missing? I have the English UK as my only default dictionary.....

21 Feb 2009      

Mietz
Germany

My older version of Word shows the UK English, even if it hasn �t been installed. I actually had to explicitly install the UK English spellchecker, to be able to use it. For some reason my standard came with US English. Maybe that �s the cause?

21 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

How do I check this? I brought the laptop a few years back when I was living in the UK....

21 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

I �m not an expert either. I think that all the dictionaries and spellcheckers should be on the CD or DVD that you use to install your office programm. Check through the disc and find the languages. Click on installing UK English. If it is already there, then the PC should ask you, if you want to install over that file. I �d do so anyway. If it isn �t there, just install it.
Does that make sense? At least you then know, if that was the problem. Smile

21 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmmmm I get nervous fiddling with disks hehe.... because everything came installed and I have a couple of disks that I am not sure what they do.....(through a company that I think is now gone "elonex"...)

I will have a tentative look THANK YOU!!!!! At least it is a starting point!

21 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

That CD can �t do anything you don �t want it to do. There always is the "Cancel" or "On/Off" button Wink. (That �s how it works with me. Makes me more confident that thought... LOL)

What does "elonex" mean? Bankrupt or "not in your life anymore"? Tx!

21 Feb 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi Cheezels,

I �m far from an expert but when all else fails call on Dennis, just kidding. Have you tried the help facility on a word document, in help - type "change default dictionary language" and see what you get.

I still use word 2003 and you can change the default language setting as follows.

Click on Start � then � All programs � then � Microsoft office � then � Microsoft office tools � then - Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings. You can add and remove languages and at the bottom of the page you are able to select the dictionary in the language you want. (it says something else ????? but in my terms it�s the dictionary.)

Hope this helps in your case as well.

21 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

H Mietz, elonex was the company that built the laptop the manufacturer. I purchased it direct after it was recommended in a laptop magazine.. (BIG MISTAKE)

Although it sounds quite funny to say something has gone elonex.... it sounds like it could mean gone nuts hehe.....

Dennis you could be my star of the day today.... I had not gone through that route.... but only through when the document was actually open... I have now removed English US from the checking side and I will go and open something and see what happens!!!!!

Embarrassed I never thought to actually go through the actual program settings....

21 Feb 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

OK... for any 2007 users out there, THIS is the way to spell check using a selected language.
When you open your word document at the top you have a tab called REVIEW,  then you can select SET LANGUAGE and then opt to check the document in your default language (mine being english UK)....
On my computer BOTH US and UK have been enabled (through the manufacturer) and the US one would not go away!!!!

YAY!!!!

21 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Glad you found a way. :-)
Thanks for the information on "elonex". I �ve found, that getting the right computer is always pot luck. One just never knows. 
Thanks to Dennis as well BTW.
Have a nice day. Mietz

21 Feb 2009