Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Could you check if I have skipped any other mistakes?    

Could you check if I have skipped any other mistakes?

Pedro14
Spain

Could you check if I have skipped any other mistakes?

Find and correct the mistakes in the verb forms. (past perfect, past simple and past continuous tense)

This man stopped a drink driver. But he �s the one in trouble with the police. 

Last weekend Jason Turner had seen (SAW) a drunk get into a car and drive off. A year earlier another drunk driver was injuring (HAD INJURED) a friend of his when he was knocking him off his motorbike ( HE KNOCKED HIM OFF). So Mr Turner, a 36-year-old financial dealer, had followed (FOLLOWED) the drunk in his own car. As they had driven along (WERE DRIVING ALONG) (by the way, what does the particle "along" add here?) , Mr Turner had shouted (SHOUTED / WAS SHOUTING) at the other driver. He was telling (TOLD? I think if you use the continuous tense in the previous gap, here the continuous would also be correct, since you are describing the situation) him to stop the car. But the other driver hadn �t taken (DIDN �T TAKE) any notice. Mr Turner later was telling (TOLD) the police that it was only then when he was trying (TRIED) to hit the other car. "The other car drove (WAS DRIVING) dangerously,", Mr Turner had explained (EXPLAINED)."And I was stopping him (STOPPED)."The pólice did not agree. Mr Turner had to pay 800$ for dangerous driving.

Thanks. 

4 May 2015      

Beba z.
Serbia

Mrs Turner shouted, you cannot say was shouting because you do not have what she was shouting, her actual words. 
And you cannot say was telling, the only solution here is TOLD. 

4 May 2015     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

This man stopped a drunk  driver. But he ´s the one in trouble with the police.

Last weekend Jason Turner SAW  a drunk get into a car and drive off. A year earlier another drunk  driver HAD INJURED a friend of his when HE KNOCKED HIM OFF  his motorbike  . So Mr Turner, a 36-year-old financial dealer, FOLLOWED the drunk  in his own car. As they WERE DRIVING ALONG , Mr Turner SHOUTED  at the other driver. He TOLD  him to stop the car. But the other driver DIDN ´T  TAKE any notice. Mr Turner later TOLD  the police that it was only then when he TRIED to hit the other car. "The other car WAS  DRIVING  dangerously," Mr Turner EXPLAINED "And I STOPPED him."The pólice did not agree. Mr Turner had to pay 800$ for dangerous driving.

4 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Pedro, you are right about shouted/was shouting and told/was telling. It �s not clear if he shouted only once or over a period of time, both of which make sense. We don �t have to have his actual words to use "was shouting".

Bruce

4 May 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

I �m wondering if it isn �t more suitable to say "....Turner saw a drunk  getting into his car and driving off"  to stress actions in progress which showed that the man was "drunk"

4 May 2015