Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > feel stress or stressed    

feel stress or stressed

light Blue
Egypt

feel stress or stressed

hello people :)
wanna ask ..... when we have to use "I feel stress" and when to use "I feel stressed" ? and is there any difference in meaning ?

10 May 2015      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

We use stressed as an adjective, so we say �I feel stressed/I �m stressed. �  Stress as a noun, �How do you cope with stress? � You could reply, �I do feel/get stress, but I cope by having a little glass, � However, you are more likely to reply, �I do get stressed.... � 

10 May 2015     

light Blue
Egypt

OH , thank you for help dear .....  but do u mean that "I feel stress" is grammatically wrong?

10 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No, not wrong exactly. It �s like saying, �I feel excitement, � rather than �I feel excited. � I can think of examples where you would use it e.g. �I could feel the stress coursing through me... � 

I hope you will get a better explanation! 

10 May 2015     

Peter Hardy
Australia

No, that �s not wrong, but not something we �d say when we mean we �re stressed. The noun is more used like the example Lynne gave you.  My example:  I don �t drink when I �m stressed. I prefer a good massage to get rid of the daily stress.  Cheers, Peter

r

10 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I love that gif! That squirrel no longer feels any stress! He felt stressed yesterday when the cat chased him. 

10 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

As you can tell from the answers so far, the difference is a little difficult to see. You will usually say "II feel/am stressed" to describe the effect something has on you. If you say "I feel stress", it is a more general statement about the sense/awareness of the stress, rather than how it is affecting your body at the moment.

So, to generalize (probably too much), in almost all situations, it �s better to use "stressed" with the word "feel".

Bruce

10 May 2015