Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary questions    

vocabulary questions

Pedro14
Spain

vocabulary questions

I �m preparing some FCE tests for my students and I have stumbled on some things I don �t understand quite well and you may help me out with them.

I don �t understand the usage of "would" in this rephrasing sentence.

We were prevented from entering the building by the security guard.
LET
The security guard wouldn �t let us enter the building.

I know "would" is used as "used to" to express routine in the past, but this is not the case though.

In the following sentence: "Speed dating is therefore popular among busy working people with Little time to ______ searching for a mate."

The posible right answers are: A take   B spend   C  devote  D  invest

B is the right one but I don �t understand why D wouldn �t be correct. Both verbs are followed by gerund and you can both spend / invest time.

My last question is a bit more general. What are the differences among the verbs "remember" "remind" and "recall"? For me they are similar. I don �t recall / remember being involved in the accident.  Do "remind" and "recall" both mean make someone remember?

Thanks a bunch. 

10 May 2015      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

1. We use would not to talk about refusals in the past. For example: " Yesterday morning, the car wouldn �t start", or he wanted to divorce, but his wife wouldn �t agree". 2. To spend time doing something: the verb spend is followed by the present participle (verb + ing). Devote ... to do something/ invest ... in something. 1. Remember: to bring something to mind, keep something in mind. I don �t remember the information. 2. Recall: to bring to mind: she recalled the old days. 3. Remind: Make someone remember. Can you remind me of your name? Hope this explanation will be of some use to you. Have a great day.

10 May 2015