Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary question    

vocabulary question

Pedro14
Spain

vocabulary question

Hi there,

Are all these structures similar in meaning?

prevent (sb) from doing sth ; stop (sb) from doing (sth) ; hinder (sb) from doing (sth?

I have always thought that the verbs "predict" and "forecast" where synonyms. Both are used to convey that sth is ikely to happen in the future, based on info you have now. Am I right? And what about the verbs foresee and foretell? Are they also synonyms of predict?

Thanks a bunch for your valuable help 

13 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

There is a small difference between preventing and stopping a person fromnnveyindoing something. I would say that it is small enough that you wouldn �t need to teach it, except to advanced students, but you might want to know the difference.

To prevent someone from doing something is to create some kind of barrier that makes it impossible to do the thing.

To stop someone from doing something is a more immediate action, perhaps even after the person has started to do the thing. It is usually more direct, with personal involvement.

"Predict" is used for all kinds of situations - saying what will (probably) happen in the future.
"Forecast"  is usually used in more technical situations, such as weather, business, industry, etc. So "forecast" is a subset of "predict".

I predict that  others will add answers to this, to help clarify things for you.
It is difficult to forecast how many people will visit the forum this week.
"Foretell" is a synonym of predict, because both deal with conveying information about the future.
"Foresee" is having knowledge about the future, without the action of telling someone on about it.

So, predict/foretell is foresee plus tell.
A year ago, I couldn �t foresee that I would be unemployed now.
Did they telephone psychic foretell your engagement?

Bruce 

13 May 2015