Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help please    

Help please

joumanaa
Tunisia

Help please

Hi �,
Can you please tell me whether this text is narrative or expository . Thank you .�
�
�

1-���� My journey to Sri Lanka over the Christmas period 2005 is punctuated by the laughter of schoolchildren enjoying the holidays, but at Hikkaduwa station, where the train screeches to a halt, there is, quite suddenly a resounding silence.

Here, abandoned on an overgrown rail siding, sits the recently re- located remains of one of the symbols of last year�s tsunami � the twisted and mangled wreck of the former Colombo to Galle express, aboard which 1.500 people perished when the sea swept violently through it.

As I look around at my fellow passengers it is clear that all are affected by the sight � some turn their faces away to the other side of the tracks. Others, the majority, seem fixated by the rusting remains.

2-���� Sri Lanka has no widely accepted memorial to those who died in the tsunami, but many regard this twisted metal shell as the most enduring testament to that fateful day. A year on, official figures show the December 26 tsunami Killed 35.322 people in Sri Lanka, and left more than one million coastal dwellers homeless. Half a million others lost their livelihoods in the disaster, many of them fishermen. Most of those who perished along two � thirds of the coastline of the island were directly associated with the sea. Further along the coast, towards the settlement of Beruwala, locals tell me countless trawlers sank in the harbor during the tsunami, making navigation at low tide virtually impossible to this day.

3-���� The fishing village of Perilya, where the doomed Colombo � Galle express train was passing when the tsunami struck, was once a successful coastal community. What remains along this stretch of coastline today is a palpable bewilderment at the power of the sea, even from hardy coastal dwellers used to the capricious moods of the ocean.

On the stormiest days fishermen still send regular rumours up and down the coast of huge waves approaching. People here firmly believe the destructive forces of nature haven�t quite finished with them yet.

��������������������������������������������������������������������������� �������� The�������� Week.���� �������������������������������������������������������������� ������������������������������������������������������������January 8, 2006

�

�

13 May 2015      

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://www.northbendlibrary.com/the-main-differences-between-narrative-and-expository-essay.php has information about the differences between expository writing and narrative writing. I would classify this writing as narrative because it is written from a personal point of view (uses pronouns I , my). However I believe that an arugment for expository writing could be made since it contains lots of researched information. Still, the style and inclusion of personal beliefs make me lean toward calling it a narrative, since the primary aim seems to me to be entertainment rather than solely reporting information.

13 May 2015     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

an expository text is a text that defines, explains or informs. Therefore, a narrative text is an expository text, as simple as that

13 May 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

It �s neither narrative nor expository. It �s recount. A recount tells about something that happened in the past. The details in a recount can include what happened, who was involved, where it took place, when it happened and why it occurred. A writer or speaker uses a recount to tell us about a story or an event. Recounts are usually given in the order that the event occurred. Recounts can be: 1. factual, such as a news story 2. procedural, such as telling someone how you built something 3. personal, such as a family holiday or your opinion on a subject. Hope this will clear out any ambiguity brother!

13 May 2015     

Jayho
Australia

You�ll find different opinions on this, even when you search the web for differences between the two.

In my opinion, I class it as a narrative that includes exposition (as narratives do). 

Cheers

Jayho

14 May 2015