Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help needed    

Help needed

claudiaeusebio
Brazil

Help needed

Hello, everyone!
I �ve come across this sentence and I would appreciate it very much if any of you could explain it to me...

"If he can call, take a message."

I had never seen a case with an imperative, so I wonder if it is possible... thanks in advance! 

26 May 2015      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It would sound more logical to me if the sentence ran, "If he calls, take a message" meaning talk to him and write down the info that he wants to pass on. Maybe it �ll be clearer if you could picture a boss leaving his office saying that to his secretary.

26 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Sophia is right. The sentence is wrong, and "If he calls, take a message" is the usual sentence.

Bruce

26 May 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Or maybe �if he can call, � with the emphasis on �can �. This assumes that there is some doubt as to whether he can call or not....If he can, then take a message.

26 May 2015     

yanogator
United States

Good point, Lynne. I hadn �t thought of that reading, meaning "If he does find a way to call, take a message".

Bruce

26 May 2015     

claudiaeusebio
Brazil

Thank you guys! I know it is not easy to take the time to sit and write, so once more, thanks a lot! 

26 May 2015     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

There �s nothing wrong with the sentence. If he can call means if he manages to call... You �re right Lynne!

27 May 2015