Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Uncountable nouns: Cake or Cakes    

Uncountable nouns: Cake or Cakes

fingerkiss
Venezuela

Uncountable nouns: Cake or Cakes

Hello teachers and friends around the world. I decided to start this new post due to I have a doubt with the uncountable noun CAKE, it has plural form: CAKES. Could I say in English? I Want to buy two (three, four) cakes for my party. I mean, I know cake is uncountable noun, but according to the information uncountable nouns don�t have plural form, but it has one. Besides I don�t want to buy two or three pieces of cakes, I really want to buy the two whole cakes. I think this is similar to uncountable noun BREAD. I�ll appreciate your help, although it`s an easy topic I need to know how to teach this in class.

hugs from Venezuela

27 May 2015      

yanogator
United States

No, it �s actually clearer than bread, because "breads" means different kinds of bread, not multiple loaves of�bread.

�"Cake" is both countable and uncountable. You can have "some cake" or you can, as you say, buy three cakes for your party.

A humorous example of this fact can be found in the�difference between "I had cake for dessert" and "I had a cake for dessert". Both are correct, but the second is very unhealthy.
�Oh, and don�t send hugs from Venezuela. Send arepas!
Bruce�

27 May 2015     

fingerkiss
Venezuela

your answer was faster than I thought, thank you so much. I understood your explanation, it was a piece of cake =)

27 May 2015     

fingerkiss
Venezuela

I forgot it....... arepas for everybody from Venezuela. !!!!!!

27 May 2015