Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Telling the time - which punctuation is to be used?    

Telling the time - which punctuation is to be used?

SVieira
Portugal

Telling the time - which punctuation is to be used?

Hi, there!

When teaching ss to tell the time, we always pay the utmost attention to things like "after" ("e.g. - It �s a quarter after five.") or "to" (e.g. - She called me at twenty to six"), but there is one thing that´s been confusing me - which punctuation should be used to separate hours from minutes when showing the time in numbers? Can anyone tell me which is correct - 2:10    or 2.10  (or maybe any other)?

29 May 2015      

kohai
Latvia

Electronic clocks usually show 2:10, but we normally write 2.10. 

P.S. ..and  I teach to say �(a) quarter past five �. 

29 May 2015     

lyg7703
China

I �m from China and many people here use the expression of 2:10. I notice the westerners usually use the other one. Both them are OK.

29 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/writing-time-colon-and-full-stop-period.2585613/ says that it is a difference between British and American English.

To my knowledge (but I did not attend secretarial or business school) the only acceptable format in the US is 2:10 .

This business blog lists the format from style manuals accepted as authoritative in the US

However, this may be a generational thing, and young people may be writing the time as 2.10 , although I have personally never seen it.  I am aware that  young people sometimes write a period (full stop) in phone numbers where formerly we wrote dashes.

1-800-555-1212 (old way)
1.800.555.1212 (newer way) 

29 May 2015     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I was taught to say " It �s a quarter past five. "  Which is correct past or after?

29 May 2015     

Apodo
Australia

British English - (a) quarter past, (a) quarter to

US English - I �ve heard after, and also til instead of to - have to wait for the US guys to confirm that.

In Australia we use British English (mostly): 

We write 2.10 or say it �s two ten.
We write phone numbers  07 1234 5678  using spaces  

29 May 2015     

SVieira
Portugal

"A quarter after five"? What is that, where was my mind? It �s definitely "a quarter past five", that �s how I teach it (I guess I must have been thinking "what we teach our students when we want them to say that the clock hands show it �s after five", so I must have written that); or maybe I �ve heard somewhere "after five", but I can �t remeber it. Anyway, it sounds strange to me, I always say and teach "past five"...
 So, first of all, my apologies for this mess ("after" instead of past").
 Now, my question came from this: being Portuguese, I always write 2h10 ("h" stands for "hours"), but even though the English word "hours" also starts with an "h" (like our Portuguese "horas"), I just knew that trying to use the same structure would not be correct.
Reading your answers and the weblinks you so generously posted, it seems that a period separating hours from minutes would be the rule in British English, and using a colon to separate them looks more like American English, so I will go for the period (we are expected to teach mainly British English).
And for all of you, here �s a big and truly heart-felt thank you for all your contributions!

30 May 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I can confirm Apodo �s feeling about usage in the US. We do use after and �til. .

30 May 2015     

HiFly
Austria

Well I �m British and I have in all my (many) years always found it to be 2:45 and not 2.45 in writing numerical time (i..e. the use of the colon and not the full stop). 

30 May 2015     

Apodo
Australia

We also use both forms depending whether it is typed or handwritten.
I just checked some appointments.
A reminder letter from the dentist is typed and uses a colon.
The handwritten card from the doctor uses a single dot, but it isnoton the line like a full stop, but higher up in the centre of the space between the numbers.

30 May 2015