Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > There are three bedrooms. The bedroom of ________ door is blue is mine.    

There are three bedrooms. The bedroom of ________ door is blue is mine.

mari_18cf
Brazil

There are three bedrooms. The bedroom of ________ door is blue is mine.

Our apartment has a nice living room which is also our dining room. There are three bedrooms. The bedroom of ________ door is blue is mine.

Possibilities

who, that, whom, whose, which, where, when, why

I believe the answer is which, but the sentence sounds wierd to me. Can someone help me understand?

2 Jun 2015      

yanogator
United States

No, we can �t help you understand this one, because there is a mistake in the sentence.

It can be "The bedroom of which the door is blue is mine" or "The bedroom whose door is blue is mine" (without "of"), but as it stands, it can �t be completed with one word.

Now you know why it sounds weird.

Bruce 

2 Jun 2015     

Apodo
Australia

The bedroom, the door of which is blue, is mine.

3 Jun 2015     

lekkasc
United Kingdom

The bedroom, whose door is blue, is mine

3 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�The bedroom with the blue door is mine � would be said.
Bruce is right.
Actually, I am unhappy about using �whose � about an inanimate object. Is it OK?
Lynne

3 Jun 2015     

Mariethe House
France

I second Apodo:

the bedroom the door of which is blue, is mine.

3 Jun 2015     

amrodriguez
Spain

I completely agree with Bruce ( yanogator) there must be a mistake in the original sentence.  I would say, The room whose door is blue, is mine.

3 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

@Lynne,

In the US, we regularly use "whose" with inanimate objects. I don �t know about the rest of the world.

Bruce 

3 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s the same in the UK, Bruce: relative whose can have a personal or non-personal antecedent (the man whose books were stolen and the books whose covers were missing). Some people tend to get a bit confused because interrogative whose can only be personal (Whose books are these?).

3 Jun 2015     

Mariethe House
France

How about the following examples, ?

"Then there are the human faces of this massive (social change), just a handful of which we might briefly contemplate here"

Our company adheres to Ethical Trading Policy a copy of which is attached."

I am preparing steak tartare, a classic and tasty dish,  the main ingredient of which is raw finely minced beef .

Is this form of expressing possession really ancient and obsolete, now?

3 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

No, it �s still perfectly OK, Mariethe. Many people prefer of which with non-personal antecedents. Indeed, Merriam-Webster �s usage dictionary explicitly states in the discussion of the issue that it (whose) is "entirely standard as an alternative to of which in all varieties of discourse". It �s a matter of taste and style, really.

3 Jun 2015     

1    2    Next >