Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > a question starting with the negative form    

a question starting with the negative form

piranhac
Tunisia

a question starting with the negative form

I would like to know if we can ask a question starting with the negative form

Is it grammatical to say? 

"Doesn �t it feel like our time is running out?
"Aren �t the Arab Revolutions a conspiracy?" 

Thank you for your help! :) 

6 Jun 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Yes, it is absolutely correct. Another correct option would be : Does it not feel like our time is running out? / Are the Arab Revolutions not a conspiracy?...

6 Jun 2015     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Yes, it is correct. But, as far as I know, when a negative question doesn�t use a question word (why, where, etc.), it usually expresses a kind of feeling of the speaker, such as anger, annoyance, grumpiness and other kinds of feelings.

Oto

6 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

@Giorgi,

Your second options (with "not") are considered to be very formal, and most people wouldn �t use them at all, except in very formal writing, and maybe not even then. They are sometimes used for rhetorical effect, to add weight to the question, along the lines of "Aren �t you aware that..." or "Do you really believe that...".

@Oto,
First, we just don �t hear enough from you on the Forum.
Second, I don �t think you �re quite right about that. I think that you �re referring to the rhetorical effect that I mentioned above when "not" is used.
Anyway,  these questions are usually used to ask for confirmation, expressing some level of doubt.
To use your two examples, which, as Giorgi said, are correct:
The first one would be used along the lines of "Does it feel to you, as it does to me, that our time is running out?"

The second one would be looking for the hearer �s agreement with the speaker �s opinion.
"Do you agree that the Arab revolutions are a conspiracy?"

Now that I have thought about Oto �s comment more, I can give an example of using this form to show annoyance, supporting his explanation:
Haven �t I already answered this questions?  We would say this to show annoyance at the person for asking the same question again.

Bruce 

6 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes - negatively framed questions are expecting confirmation. They can be rhetorical in style.  *�Has she not style? Has she not fragrance? Is she not irresistible? � This speaker is smitten and expects no contradiction. And they can express annoyance. 
�Are you ready yet? � - simple question. Aren �t you ready yet? � - Get a move on! 
Just my two penn �orth! 

(* These (or something similar, can�t find a link, were the words of a high court judge about Mary Archer, whose husband writer and politician Jeffrey Archer had a fling with a sex worker. The judge could not believe it.) 

6 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

@Lynne,

Is that construction common in England - "Has she not style?" Here we would say "Doesn �t she have style?"

Bruce 

6 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Bruce - I just edited my post....

And so now to edit this one - that was just an example to show this old-fashioned, stylised usage. 

6 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

And on a related but lighter note, doesn�t this thread remind anyone of Betteridge�s Law of Headlines: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no"?

Lynne, the judge was Mr Justice Caulfield (although some naughty rags apparently misattributed the quote to his namesake Holden).

6 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

Alex, your link didn �t work for me.

Bruce

6 Jun 2015     

piranhac
Tunisia

thank you all for your valuable replies.

6 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

7 Jun 2015