Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > JHS ALT īs in Japan    

JHS ALT īs in Japan

simang21
Japan

JHS ALT īs in Japan

I need to ask some of my fellow ALT teachers about something... I īm doing a reaserch on how to get the attention of the JHS students. Thank you in advance.

8 Jun 2015      

Mariethe House
France

please, how old are your students? JHS doesn īt mean much to me which means I can īt help you!

9 Jun 2015     

huddersboy
Japan

JHS means junior high school in Japan that would be from 12 years old to 15years old

9 Jun 2015     

koga
Japan

It depends on where you go. I mean, public or private school, Tokyo area or country side.
Also, you have to think about the number of students in a class. 
As you know, Japan consists of islands and Japanese don īt have to speak foreign languages unless they need to do.
It means, JHS students learn English as just one of subjects even though English is īlanguage �.
Therefore, you should think the way to connect the gap between everyday life English and academic English.

Good Luck.

9 Jun 2015     

Mariethe House
France

Ahhhh I understand better!

And another one:

and another one:

And more if you google: how to get children īs attention!

9 Jun 2015     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Whilst sticking to whatever your brief is for that lesson - often it is to incorporate a very specific grammar point - try to make it as amusing or unusual as possible.

I very frequently use a cropped picture of my face on an obviously different person īs body, or an animal īs body, or a wel known character.

You might imagine that the novelty affect would soon wear off, but in my experience that is not so.
That in itself is not really enough though.
The dailogue through which you introduce the new language, for example, should also be absurd or amusing or something of that nature if possible.
The activity in which the Ss communicate should also include some silly options.
Ss at that age here are still very much children (from an English person īs point of view, anyway).
They like silly things, and there is no academic principle, especially in ESL cirlces, that says 2nd language learners do better when being sensible.

I presume you are given freedom to do as you please?
I am, but of course I always get the materials approved by the JTE in charge of that class/year, and always point out clearly how the language objectives will be met. That way, the Ss pay a little more attention and their JTEs continue to allow me to teach the class essentially without them. If your JTEs insist upon team-teaching, then the īsilly � idea might need to be sold to them, as they might not want to do something that is not īmajime �.

There are many other ways to get their attention, but I have found no other that works as consistently well as making an idiot of myself for their amusement.

I hope that helps.

9 Jun 2015     

timmo
Japan

Knowing a little about their interests and like are very useful. As said before knowing famous or well known figures that are known go a long way for interest.
For example Tennis star Kei Nishikori who made it to a grand slam recently or baseball star Yu Darvish in American MLB baseball. -Sports                      ^^^^^^^^^^
-Anime                      One Piece, Kuroko no Basket
-Singer/Groups          Sekai no Owari, Greeeen, One Direction
-Celebrities               Johnny Depp , Tommy Lee Jones Mr.Boss

Being able to incorporate this elements into the lesson and grammar points can go a long ways.
Cultural elements are always of interest.
I īm a 3rd year ALT in Japan and my students love it when I use such as examples.

Hope that gives some insight.  

10 Jun 2015