Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help, please    

help, please

HarisT
Greece

I think the answer is to "make up". One of the meanings of make up is to put together, construct, compose.

If you write "make out", it will mean that you are trying to discern what the shopping list says. 

12 Jun 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I have never heard of someone making up or making out a shopping list. Yes, make up is a phrasal verb, you make up a story. And also you can make out somebody �s face when it is dark. But you make a shopping list. Without any prepositions or phrasal meanings, as simple as that. I agree with myself and Lynne :))))) . Further discussion in this topic will lead to nothing for me. Cheers. Giorgi

12 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

But for others who are in the business of learning as well as teaching, both make out and make up in the sense of composing, compiling or drawing up a list are well-attested. But don �t take my word for it. Here are a few random examples from the OED:

1743 B. Franklin Proposal Promoting Useful Knowl. in Papers (1960) II. 383 That the Business and Duty of the Secretary be..to enter Copies thereof in the Society �s Books, and make out Copies for distant Members. 

1915 W. S. Maugham Of Human Bondage xxiv. 101 He made out a list of books which Philip was to read.

1814 J. Austen Mansfield Park II. xiii. 293 �You cannot think I mean to hurry you,� said he in an under voice, perceiving the amazing trepidation with which she made up the note. 

1975 R. Davies World of Wonders (1977) ii. v. 189, I had to make up the call-lists, so that the call-boy..could warn the actors when they were wanted on stage. 

12 Jun 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

I was wondering which preposition Shakespeare would put here, then. :))))

12 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fair enough Alex, these things are always possible, but the most usual usage of �make up � is to make up er,,,as in imagine or pretend e.g. �He �s always making stories up �. Ask this in the past tense and it becomes clear. �Have you made the list up? � You would say, �Have you made the list? � 

12 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

@ Giorgi � just for you:

1623 Shakespeare & J. Fletcher Henry VIII i. i. 89 He makes vp the File Of all the Gentry. 

(file here meaning list or catalogue) 

:))))

@ Lynne:

There are at least a dozen different senses of make up - each with its own subtle nuances. Yours is only one of them.

12 Jun 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Almaz, I �m impressed :))) All the same,could you be so kind as to answer one final question: have you heard many ordinary Brits around you say they were making up a shopping list? (unless they were quoting Maugham or Jane Austen, of course...)

12 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Of course I have.

12 Jun 2015     

corinad
Romania

thank you for your answers, they are very useful!

13 Jun 2015     

< Previous   1    2