Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Coping with English    

Coping with English

almaz
United Kingdom

Coping with English

Apparently, a petition signed by thousands of French students who complained that they didn�t recognise the word �coping� in one of the questions of this year�s English comprehension section of the baccalaur�at has gone viral and tickled the British media:

The question related to an extract from Ian McEwan�s Atonement and asked how the protagonist was "coping with the situation". I checked around and it�s generally agreed that �coping� in this context is not particularly uncommon in English (the petition�s instigator whined insisted that it was "un mot peu courant").

Is it just this year�s crop of 17-year-old French students who have a problem with the word �coping� or is there a genuine issue with the frequency of this particular word among other non-native speakers? The bac English exam requires a level of �medium fluency�, if I recall � though I�m willing to be put straight on that. 

25 Jun 2015      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Really funny. Those French students discovered how to cope with their bad language skills. They protested!!!!!!!!!!!
If I knew that one could protest when not knowing something, I would have protested about each Math Exam.

25 Jun 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

cope with is definitely within the pre-intermediate/intermediate range (supposedly the level of school leavers) so what �s the hassle all about anyway?

@ Alex aka Almaz: In our ZNO in English (a school leavers � exam by External Indepedent Evaluation Centre, something like A Levels in Britain) there was a task on which I would like to know your opinion.

In the text about jeans:
In the 1850s, when Levi Strauss ran out of tent canvas for the pants he was selling to California gold miners, he imported a tough material from Nomes in France called serge de Nomes.(40) _______________ ,de Nomes became �denim�.

A - Americanizing
B - Having Americanized
C - Americanized
D - to be americanized

The correct variant is obviously C, but a lot of students (really smart ones) chose B. (If the word Americanized wasn �t capitalized in B (I stand corrected - it�s always capitalized)) Could it have been a legitimate choice as well? 

25 Jun 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Silvia. That was more or less my response too when I read about it, but, hell...  ï¿½\__/�

Sophia (aka ueslteacher): Yes, exactly; the Oxford English Corpus shows that it �s as frequent as words like cream, alarm, superior and weird; and you �ll find it in the New General Service List (which " represents the most important high frequency words" for second language learners of English) nestling between �external � and �emphasis � (hardly rarely-used words). Ironically, the English word cope comes from the French...

Regarding the question about Americanized (it �s usually capped, by the way), the verb is both transitive and intransitive � although the latter is less common. If you accept answer C (transitive) as the passive form with �having been � (or something along those lines) understood, you �ll see that answer B (intransitive) doesn �t really make sense: it would be a bit of a stretch � no pun intended �  for serge de N�mes to Americanize itself.

25 Jun 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you Alex!
Got it! 

25 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Alex on the Americanized question.

Bruce

25 Jun 2015     

evinches
France

Hello everyone!

I just felt I had to react to this. I �ve lived in the south of France, near NIMES for about 30 years now and I often wear denims!

There is a mistake in the spelling of the city in the south of France famous for the origin of DENIM and for it �s beautiful Roman monuments ....

There is quite a bit of controversy about the origins in fact but not about the spelling of Nîmes!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans 

In the 1850s, when Levi Strauss ran out of tent canvas for the pants he was selling to California gold miners, he imported a tough material from Nomes in France called serge de Nomes.(40) _______________ ,de Nomes became “denim”.

Wishing you all a happy weekend,
Esther 

26 Jun 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@ Esther: Thank you for your clarification! I just copied from the original task which they had obviously copied from somewhere else without even checking against the wikipedia:)

26 Jun 2015