Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need some help from native speakers, please    

I need some help from native speakers, please

Minka
Slovenia

I need some help from native speakers, please

Hello!
I was asked to translate an abstract  which I have already done and all there �s left is the title of the thesis. It is about how to prevent the complications that occur after endotracheal aspiration when  the patients are on mechanical ventilation.

Which of the titles sonds best:

Prevention of complications of endotracheal aspiration in patients receiving mechanical ventilation

Prevention of endotracheal aspiration related complications in patients receiving mechanical ventilation

Prevention of complications associated with endotracheal aspiration in patients receiving mechanical ventilation

How right or wrong do they sound to you?

Thanks in advance,

Minka 

25 Jun 2015      

yanogator
United States

They �re all pretty good, but I would go with the first one. However, I might say "from" instead of "of", but I �m not firm on that.

If you choose the second one, you need a hyphen for the two-word adjective:  aspiration-related

Just out of curiosity, what is it in Serbo-Croatian (I think that �s what you speak in Slovenia. If not, I apologize if saying that is offensive)?

Bruce

25 Jun 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

This is what it sounds (looks) like in Slovene (or Slovenian - both words are corect) which is what we speak around here. Not offended at all :)

Preventiva zapletov pri endotrahealni aspiraciji intubiranega pacienta na mehanski ventilaciji

Does any of my three titles sound less or more formal than the others?

Thanks for your help!

25 Jun 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I prefer the third one. It �s clear and understandable at the first reading. It �s formal without being off-putting for the layman. 

I think �of � is fine in number 1- it just doesn �t read terribly well as you have �of....of �  in quick succession.  and I agree with Bruce that a hyphen is better for clarity in Number 2.  
Lynne 

25 Jun 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

Thank you. That was exactly what I saw as a problem with the first one.

25 Jun 2015     

yanogator
United States

All three are correct and the same level of formality. I �ll go with Lynne on #3. Adding "associated with" improves readability by separating some of the technical words. However, I �m sure this is written for professionals, so they won �t mind. You really can �t go wrong with any of them.

Bruce 

25 Jun 2015     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks again!  :)

25 Jun 2015