Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A silly question     

A silly question

florimago
Spain

A silly question

Hi, friends : I hope you are enjoying your summer . I have this silly question : When you want to check a word in the dictionary ,  because you are not sure about the spelling , the meaning .... would it be correct to use " check up" , too ?  Thanks for your comments in advance ! 

12 Jul 2015      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Florimago!

Take a look at this definition of the word "check":  http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/check_1

12 Jul 2015     

yanogator
United States

I don �t think it �s possible to have a silly question in a foreign language (and often even in your own language).

No, "check up" doesn �t work. Ascincoquinas �s link shows you how that phrase is used, as well as most other phrasal verbs with "check". You could say "I need to check this word out in the dictionary", meaning that you are investigating it, as your question is suggesting. If you are very uncertain about it, you might say, "I will check on it in my dictionary".

Bruce 

12 Jul 2015     

florimago
Spain

thank you very much ascincoquinas and Bruce for your help ! 

12 Jul 2015     

[email protected]
Thailand

but you could say, �I �m going to look up the meaning in my dictionary � or indeed , �I �m going to look the meaning up in my dictionary �.

12 Jul 2015