Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help!    

Help!

S�lvia73
Portugal

Help!

Hi everyone!

I �m translating a text and I �ve come across the word "numenary". I can �t find it in any dictionary online and I �ve got no clue about its meaning. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

22 Feb 2009      

Vana
Croatia

Just use Wikipedia and you will find the answer there. Good luck!

22 Feb 2009     

S�lvia73
Portugal

Thanks Vana. I did and found nothing!

22 Feb 2009     

Vana
Croatia

This is only the beginning of what I have found so...

Numerary

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Jose Ortega y Gasset. Numerary professor of Psychology, Logic and Ethics at the Escuela Superior del Magisterio de Madrid

Numerary is a civil designation for persons who are incorporated in a fixed or permanent way to a society or group: regular member of the working staff, permanent staff, or member, distinguished from a supernumerary.

The term "numerary" and its counterpart, "supernumerary," originated in Spanish and Latin American academy and government; it is now also used in countries all over the world, such as France, the U.S., England, Italy, etc.

22 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

As far as I can tell "numenary" doesn �t exist but "numerary" does...  Opus Dei has "numeraries and super numeraries"... here �s a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerary

A numerary is basically somebody who has gone into into the faith, has taken a "vote" of celebicay and has agreed to live by the Opus Dei rules...

22 Feb 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Then, just use my favourite tool, onelookdictionary,
http://www.onelook.com/
an exceptional site that permits to enlarge the search to many other dictionaries...
I searched and it �s there in 9 dictionaries
BRAHIM

22 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

I think Silvia73 is asking about numenary and not numerary.  It �s very easy for us to not see that n in the word which can change the whole meaning.

I think that Zora is right, the word �numenary � may not commonly exist but if you google it you will find some entries.  The word numen is in my dictionary.   It says "a deity, a divine power or spirit".  There actually is a wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numen.  it �s quite interesting.

My favourite etymology site also says:
numinous Look up numinous at Dictionary.com
"divine, spiritual," 1647, from L. numen (gen. numinis) "divine will," properly "divine approval expressed by nodding the head," from nuere "to nod" (cf. Gk. neuein "to nod").

A numenary, if we break the word down into its root and suffix, is a person who practises numen maybe.  A numeni? One article talks about a numenary professor.

Related words that I found: numina, numinous, numeni

If there was a typographical error maybe it should be numerary and not numenary???

Now, after my googling efforts, when I see or hear this word I �ll be thinking of the Da Vinci Code!

22 Feb 2009