Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > 2 negatives??    

2 negatives??

yanogator
United States

I don �t know what �s going on here. I replied this afternoon, and my computer didn �t even seem to mess it up this time, but it isn �t here.

Alex, when I wrote that post, it was perfectly clear (to me, of course), so I didn �t write more. My third paragraph is talking about the "not inconsiderable" structure, which isn �t used much in everyday speech and writing, but is found in newspapers and magazines, and I can �t think of examples other than with adjectives and adverbs. I hope this makes my post a little clearer.

I realize that "doesn �t work" doesn �t work, so I should have said "doesn �t fall into this category."

Bruce 

19 Jul 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

almaz, give us links or name some sources which, as you maintain, prove that the use of double negatives has to do with certain dialects, or at least name the dialects... Give your arguments a little more weight, because mocking on other people�s typos and wording do not serve the purpose to prove or disprove your "theory" that the use of "double negatives" is correct/grammatical in some English dialects...

19 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

I gave a link earlier, but since you obviously couldn�t be bothered checking, here it is again just for you: http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/Negative-Concord.htm. And if you need some more, well, try these...

Professor Pullum�s is especially interesting (the section on negative concord is about halfway through). 

EDIT: This is starting to get tedious, Giorgi. If someone demands proof/links/evidence and these are subsequently � and quickly � provided, one would expect the courtesy of a response � or, at the very least, a simple acknowledgement. And you know very well this isn�t the first time you�ve taken a very uncharacteristic vow of silence when you�ve called people out on a language issue you clearly know nothing about, and they � unhappily for you � provide chapter and verse.

20 Jul 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Double negatives are used by youngsters who don �t know any better and while we understand what they mean, we should model better English. Would you let this go... �Double negatives are used by those who don �t know no better. � I hope not. 

20 Jul 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Almaz, unlike you I have things to do and rarely get the chance of getting online, esp. when it comes to reading your, to put it mildly, uninteresting comments. You are getting ridiculous with your offensive comments :) Of course, I could go on and reply in the same spirit, but I had better ignore you from now on and forever ;) Enjoy your life, there �s more to it than sitting and refreshing a webpage to see if I had replied...:)

20 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruce: thanks, it �s clearer now. 

Lynne, I thought you �d grasped the difference between standard and non-standard dialects. Of course we teach to the standard - I �ve been doing it on a daily basis for years - but dismissing non-standard dialects as somehow inferior is, from both a pedagogic and linguistic viewpoint, not only harmful but just plain wrong.

20 Jul 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Alex, I have grasped this difference, thank you! We teach to the standard and that �s all I �m saying, so we agree. 

21 Jul 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

A nice info here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=49332&page=2

A double negative uses two negative words (in bold below) in the same clause to express a singlenegative idea:

We didn �t see nothing. [ = We saw nothing.]

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/double-negatives

The rules dictate that the two negative elements cancel each other out to give a positive statement instead, so that the sentence ‘I don’t know nothing’ could literally be interpreted as ‘I do know something’.

Double negatives are standard in many other languages and they were also a normal part of English usage until some time after the 16th century. They’re still widely used in English dialectswhere they don’t seem to cause any confusion as to the intended meaning. Nevertheless, they aren’t considered acceptable in current standard English and you should avoid them in all but very informal situations. Just use a single negative instead:

We didn’t see anything.

She never danced with anyone.

There is one type of double negative that is considered grammatically correct and which people use to make a statement more subtle. Take a look at the following sentence:

I am not unconvinced by his argument.

The use of not together with unconvinced suggests that the speaker has a few mental reservations about the argument. The double negative creates a nuance of meaning that would not be present had the speaker just said:

I am convinced by his argument.

21 Jul 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Some useful link on the topic:

A double negative occurs when you use two negative words or constructions within a single clause. In some languages, such as Russian, Macedonian, Serbian and Croation, if you want to express a negative connotation, you need to use a negative throughout the phrase or sentence. In English, this is not the case. When you have a single clause - one cohesive idea with a subject and an action - you should only have one negative within that clause.

• For example, it would be wrong to say “We don’t need no education" (and perhaps Pink Floyd was wrong and they did in fact need an education to understand why double negative usage was wrong!)
  • However, it would not be wrong to say "I don’t need an education because I don’t believe education is important." Even though don’t is a negative used twice in the sentence, "I don’t need an education" was one clause and "I don’t believe education is important" is a separate clause entirely.

A nice article on Wikipedia

And on grammarly.com

21 Jul 2015     

< Previous   1    2