Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Possess vs Have    

Possess vs Have

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Possess vs Have

Hello, dear friends,

I am confused in using "possess" vs "have",
 Some of my colleagues say that we can �t use "possess"with the objects, e.g.: She possesses a ball. Is she right? or We can use "possess" only with personality characteristics?
Because in one book called "ESSENTIAL WORDS" I saw a sentence: My uncle possesses three sheep, a cow and a horse.She says that it is impossible. I insisted that we can use with objects. Who is correct? Please, is it is not difficult for you, explain the exact rules of using these two verbs.

21 Jul 2015      

Gi2gi
Georgia

Sure, you can use possess with objects, e.g. I do not possess a computer. Although, it �s a bit more formal than have/have got. Also, the verb "have" can be used with more varied meanings, like I have two cups of coffee in the mornings, but I am sure you are perfectly aware of this. Giorgi

21 Jul 2015     

yanogator
United States

As Giorgi said, you definitely can possess objects, and "possess" is a more formal verb than "have". With objects, "possess" means the same as "own", and is a stronger word than "have". "Possess" has a bit of a legal sense to it.

"I have a car" is a simpler statement than "I possess/own a car", which lightly includes the fact that I hold the title to the car. When a group is going out and deciding who will drive, you would say "I have a car", because its ownership doesn �t matter - just its availability. When considering my net worth, "I possess a car" is an important statement.

Bruce 

21 Jul 2015     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

Thank you, dear friends,
Now I will explain to her from your words.

22 Jul 2015     

leaponover
United States

There is even a saying, "Possession is 9/10 the law".  Meaning owning something will put you in the right 90% of the time.  It �s kind of outdated but furthers the idea of possession meaning legal ownership.

23 Jul 2015