Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > preposition    

preposition

tommy1996
Vietnam

preposition

plsease tell me  what is right: 
thanks in advance 
He took a long nap from 2p.m ________4p.m.(till or to)

26 Jul 2015      

tmac0822
United States

It should be TO because if you wanna use TILL, you can only add a specific time after it instead of a period of time.

26 Jul 2015     

tommy1996
Vietnam

i wonder when we can use "from ....till" and "from ....to"

26 Jul 2015     

tommy1996
Vietnam

i wonder when we can use "from ....till" and "from ....to"

26 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

You can use either to or till (or even until):

from 2 pm to 4 pm 

from 2 pm till 4 pm

from 2 pm until 4 pm  

Alex 

26 Jul 2015     

yanogator
United States

I don �t understand tmac0822 �s answer, because it is a specific time after it: 4pm. Anyway, Alex is correct - to, till and until are all good.

It �s sad to report that "till" has nearly disappeared in the US. People have the idea that they are using an abbreviation of "until", so instead of till they write   �til, or sometimes   til � (which doesn �t make any sense), or just  til. The word "till" still exists in formal writing, but in most informal writing, titles and advertising, it has been replaced.

Bruce 

26 Jul 2015     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, I �ve heard that too, Bruce, and of course, till actually predates until by four centuries according to the OED, which also notes that it �s "now often superseded by the compound until".

26 Jul 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Till � very much the first choice and up and running here in the UK. Set phrase for shift workers - 2 till 10 etc. 

26 Jul 2015     

L. habach
Morocco

Both "till � and �to � are correct in this context.

26 Jul 2015