Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you create these very professional worksheets?    

How do you create these very professional worksheets?

nozo
United Kingdom

How do you create these very professional worksheets?

I have just received my CELTA certificate and am now looking for a teaching post. Forgive my question.. I �m sure it �s been asked and answered already, but how do you actually prepare a worksheet. The examples shown seem very professional and  creative.. how do I start? We did create our own handouts from the "Cutting Edge" books, but they were very simple.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Norah.

23 Feb 2009      

Amanda W
Austria

Well Norah,
     I think making worksheets is a process. You have to grow into it. If you look back at some of the first people do and then to those with the most points (probably those with fewest points), you can sometimes see a wonderful development. This doesn �t happen overnight, I �m afraid. Start with a topic that interests you or something you will always have to teach, e.g. daily routines and the present tense (maybe with adverbs of frequency...often, always etc). Then concentrate on this. Get some ideas down on paper. Try and make it interesting. Think of what you want to get across, the age of the students, what they �re interested in and just have a go. The ones you create now will be a far cry from those you �ll be doing next year but you �ve got to start somewhere. Just have a go! 

23 Feb 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Check the tutorials by frenchfrog, logos, icha and others. They �ve been a great help to me and many others here. Sorry - I don �t have time to put in the links right now, but you �ll find them, if you look for the users.
Also have a look at the most downloaded worksheets and the types of exercises they contain. In the end it �s not just the layout, though that is important and an often discussed subject here. :-)
Apart from that - Amanda W has already put it in words.

23 Feb 2009     

Paree
India

I would suggest you to start with a Simple Worksheet , may be related to Daily Routine (Simple Present Tense). Download some pictures from internet and use them create a daily routine for any XYZ person.

23 Feb 2009     

Tatyana83
Armenia

Use your imagination! :-)
Make a list of SOMETHING.
FOOD
CLOTHES
ANY IDILOMS
JUST -LOVE IDIOMS (fall in love- break hurt etc)
 ACTIVITIES:
HOBBIES
DAILY ROUTINE

FEELINGS

so do the list or TABLE in the microsft office WORD
go to google. and strt searching for related PICTURES.
SAVE them all in a fallder.
then put them into table under each word.
MAKE THE LETTERS COLOURFUL or not SOME big some SMALL
subduved into sub topic (for examples
CLOTHES:
HATS. Underware..

FEElings:
Happines:...
Unhappines....

STEP 2

Go further and INVENT/find in the internet
EXAMPLES-SENTENCES with the WORDS.
put it under the box/table

STEP 3
SENTENCES IN MOTHER_TONGUE - with TOPIC-WORDS.
(the kea-word always UNDERLINED or something like that.

REMEMBER it �s easier to remeber the picture then the WORD. So
INVENT LOTS OF CARDS! PICUTURES SET.

The same goes with GRAMMAR

Foe example PRESENT CONTINUOUS:

WRITE Any sentence (one ONE SIDE) (the more it close (or FUNNY) to student �s life/the better)
Girls are doing their make up.
Picture of the girls/or of LIP_STICK (in the corner- write lip-stick-additional word in the Grammar topic) on THE OTHER SIDE of the card.

23 Feb 2009     

Tatyana83
Armenia

sorry for mistakes:) I don �t know why i do them ;-)

23 Feb 2009     

lilytech
Argentina

I think that you should create what you need, that is, focusing on a given class ;the group you`re actually teaching.

From my experience, when I designed a worsheet to get points, I got a poor result. the sorprise was when I designed fo MY st who needed to pass an exam ,that worsheet is now the number one of my contributions.

So I hope you have  great success in future. Good luck !

23 Feb 2009     

nozo
United Kingdom

Dear Amanda, Mietz, Anchal25, Tatyana83 and lilytech,

What a wonderful welcome to this site and what a generous bunch of people you all are! I have read all your advice and look forward to putting it to good use. I am very impressed by the ethos of this site and I think that you are all great examples of the kind of teacher I would love to have.. warm, informative and keen to share your work for others to benefit.

You have set a very positive standard for me to work towards and I thank you for your kindness in taking the time to reply to me.

Gratefully, Norah xxxxx

25 Feb 2009