Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how to deal with disruptive students    

how to deal with disruptive students

sabrina5311
Vietnam

how to deal with disruptive students

Dear teachers,

I have problems dealing with students who are very  naughty, chatty, and discruptive. They also distract other students , so I fail to attract most students � attention. These disruptive students even refuse to follow my directions regardless of any punishments. I don �t know what to do with them. It seems that I am giving up. If you have experience, please help me. I �ll appreciate your advice.

20 Aug 2015      

SaraMariam
United States

Hi Sabrina, what age group are you teaching?

20 Aug 2015     

stessenspaola
Argentina

Hi Sabrina!. This site helped me alot with these problems: http://www.behaviourneeds.com/. I also have some material that can help you if you wantSmile

20 Aug 2015     

cbenglish
United States

I have found that communication with parents, faculty, administrators, and co-teachers is very useful when you have problems with students who are disruptive. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your learners.

20 Aug 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Have a look at Larry Ferlazzo �s website - he has lots of posts and links about this. A few pieces of advice from me:
  • Avoid confrontation if at all possible. If the students challenge you directly, say things like, �Maybe you are right, but let �s move on. �   �You �ve got a point, but we have to observe the rules.. �   �I hear what you are saying...but I need to press on with the lesson �, and so on. Always give them a few minutes to comply with what you want. In other words, be mindful that particularly with young teenagers, they have to save their face in front of their classmates. 
  • Always plan your lesson meticulously and make sure there is a wide variety of activities. Don �t let them get bored! 
  • Always focus much more on the positive than the negative. Praise them and be relentlessly positive.   
  • If there is a ringleader, get him or her on your side by asking them to do jobs for you.
  • Put them into groups and appoint a captain at each table. Tell this student it �s their responsibility to ensure everyone is on task. Award points to each table (group) so that it becomes a competition. Change the captain regularly and praise them. 
  • If they say stuff like �You can �t make me! �, agree. Say something, �No, I can �t make you, but you know that it would be the right thing for you to do and I am asking you to make the right choice. � Always emphasise that if you have to give sanctions, they have effectively made the wrong choice and they could have avoided it. Show that you are a reasonable person who wants them to do well.
Just a few ideas.

21 Aug 2015     

sabrina5311
Vietnam

Dear teachers, thank you very much for your advice. The students in my class are teenagers from 12 to 16. I work in a private secondary school where most of the students are very weak and discuptive. They do not want to study and refuse to cooperate with their peers or teachers. It seems that all they want is just driving me crazy so that I must give up. I �m really desparate now.

21 Aug 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You have to get them on your side! Try the competition thing. Award points for small successes. Are you allowed to give prizes? Will they play language games? There are lots of ideas on here. You have to keep trying! You owe it to yourself. You can succeed with them. 

22 Aug 2015