Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!    

HELP!

freddie
Canada

I agree

when it refers to possession it is usually not used in past tenses. Even in reported speech I wouldn`t go one tense back as it is a general truth and so no tense change.

But `got ` has other uses/meanings : `arrived ` as in the above example, `received` as in Libertybelle`s example, then of course it could be used in the past or past perfect,

Another example would be` had got` (or in American English ``had gotten`) as in `had bought` or had acquired`.

He had got the dog before he knew that he was allergic to it.

23 Feb 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi

I checked my grammar book, Grammar for English Language Teachers, and Parrot says that we use have got mainly in the present tense but that it is possible to use it in the past tense

e.g. They thought they �d got to sign the contract right there and then ( ... thought they had to ...)

he says that in spoken and informal English people use have/had got to as an alternative to have to.  Now that I think about I do this a lot.

Cheers

Jayho

23 Feb 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, I never use it because it sounds so strange and wrong to me... I think Canadians and Americans do not use that form - simply because we don �t actually use "have got" as much as Brits do... we prefer to use "have" more... Smile

Though, you �re example is not actually "have got" as in "possess"... it is I �d say more the meaning, "would have got to" - be allowed to - and not what we were saying about - for example: "Tom "had got" a cat at home..." < SOOO wrong to me!

24 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2