Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed for class students ages 14 and 15!!!    

Help needed for class students ages 14 and 15!!!

Shepard
United States

Help needed for class students ages 14 and 15!!!

Hello I just started working at a school in China less than a week ago and I am teaching students that are 14 and 15 years old. I also just received the book yesterday and I have already received a complaint from one of the other teachers that the students do not seem to be interested in my classes and my lessons need to be more engaging. 

The school has not given me guidelines on what I should teach or even anything like a syllabus. Could anyone help me out like show me a website that could help me. Also does anyone have any English games that would be suitable for students in this age group (14 and 15). 

Also could anyone also recommend any type of speaking activities that I could use in class too.

I think I will do my next lesson over the American Education system but I am not sure what the students currently know about the American Education system. 

18 Sep 2015      

joannajs
Poland

Hi there,

What I �d suggest are using some games to accompany the cousebook. I have never taught in Asia, but I guess there is an inner child in all of us and this is what has worked in all of my classes. If you have a TV to which you can link your laptop (or if there is an interactive whiteboard, or a projector) you can try Jeopardy (have a look at some from this site) - in ppt. or you can create some of your own vocabulary games based on the format like pictionary, taboo or guesstures. This is bound to spice up your class. Good luck :-) joanna 

18 Sep 2015     

lanj03
Canada

Shepard,
I think that too often, teachers focus on the grammar part of their class. Keep in mind that if you can build a relation with your students, have them have so much fun in your class that they can �t wait to get to the next one, you will achieve greater results. A student that like you will be much more interested in learning what you teach them. Ask about them every class. Even if it sounds stupid. Start your classes by asking them what they did last night. Know who does what. What video games they like, what sport they practice and stay informed on them. If you make them feel special, they will learn. Say hello to your students in the corridors. Give them high five or stupid handshakes. Ask them what �s wrong when someone looks down. Love them. You will receive so much more in return and they will come to their English class with an open mindset. If a student doesn �t look for your smile, a funny handshake with you or a hello in the corridor when they see you, I tell myself that I still need to work on my relation ship with this student.
John 

18 Sep 2015     

cbenglish
United States

I agree with forming a more personal relationship with your students, especially if they are older. Show interest in your students and what they like.  Usually students also enjoy getting to know you and will be more than happy to learn about your life. There �s a fun game called 3 truths and a lie where students talk about themselves. They must tell 4 things and 1 must be a lie. The class must guess which one is a lie.
I used a text book to teach lessons but found my students loved it when I incorporated things like technology, media, and travel into the lessons. I also tried to get more feedback and let my older students do most of the talking in class. I would usually start a discussion and let the students take over. Also try games. Even high school kids like games. Team games or a debate can be a fun activity.  
If you have a smartboard in your class here is a site with lots of games:
I developed a few websites that may be good for your kids.There are some worksheets and activities here.

Best of luck with your class ^_^ 

18 Sep 2015     

kwsp
United States

Hi! I taught in China for a while too! I remember one Chinese director gave me my book and told me which classes I was to teach 3 days before class was to start. He said, "Why do you need to prepare? You are a native speaker so teaching English should be easy for you!" It is a very common attitude in China. If you have a book, I recommend reading through it bit by bit and making lessons that go with it accordingly, being prepared to adapt as needed. Keep a back up plan and extra activities in your bag! 

It is good to have the students tell you about their culture. Start with the holidays. October 1st is the beginning of the National Day Holiday. You will probably get a week off for this! What will they do during the holiday? Ask them what other holidays there are and have them expound on the stories and traditions surrounding each holiday. Have them talk about wedding traditions. Have them talk about giving gifts - What do you give and why? What do you not give and why? They will enjoy telling you about their culture and you will learn a lot, too! (Take notes!)

Do you know the song �Are You Sleeping Brother John"? Hum the song, ask them if they recognize the tune, have them teach you their words and actions for the song, then teach them your words for the song. There is a big difference between the two!

For pronunciation practice use Dr. Suess� Fox in Sox. Use the listen and repeat technique. You read and they follow along and repeat. This works for all sorts of things and all ages seem to enjoy this. You can do this with tongue twisters and then have tongue twister competitions!

Celebrating birthdays is relatively new in China. Find out who has a birthday this month, have all birthday people come to the front of the classroom, have everyone sing happy birthday to them, and then give each of the birthday students a lollipop. (Do this every month!)

Play the name ten game using teams. Be careful, they may cheat because everyone wants to win! :-D http://blog.tesol.org/esl-games-name-ten/

Play the alphabet game: I am going on a trip. I am taking with me an A - apple, B - ?, C - ? All ages like this and find it somewhat challenging.

Have students work in groups or with a partner rather than individually as often as possible. They will appreciate it.

If you want to talk more, just click on the little envelope by my moniker to send me a personal message. 

18 Sep 2015